Mississippi State Athletics Broadcast Operations Department produces a variety of events aired on ESPN and SEC Network platforms including linear and digital networks, as well as in-venue displays. The Director of Broadcast Operations will serve as lead producer and director for events airing on ESPN’s family of networks. This individual will collaborate with the Director of Broadcast Technology and Engineering, full-time staff, and students on operating, maintaining, and troubleshooting a full range of broadcast production equipment. The successful candidate should be a self-starter who is extremely organized.
Salary Grade: 15
Please see Staff Compensation Structure for salary ranges.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Achieving successful live broadcasts on ESPN and SEC Network linear and digital platforms.
2. Directing, supervising, and evaluating full and part-time staff during live productions.
3. Serving in various production positions for events airing on the ESPN family of networks.
4. Operating, maintaining, and troubleshooting production equipment.
5. Training staff and students on various production equipment including Ross Acuity and Carbonite production switchers, Ross XPression graphics system, Evertz Dreamcatcher replay system, DiGiCo audio console, Evertz routing system, RTS Adam-M intercom system and Ikegami video cameras.
6. Performs related duties as assigned.
Supervises Assistant Directors of Broadcast Operations.
Bachelor's degree in Communications, Broadcast Journalism, or related field with three (3) years of relevant experience.
Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which
comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Extensive knowledge and experience producing live sports television consistent with ESPN standards and branding.
• Experience training students in graphics production consistent with guidelines of ESPN.
• Working knowledge and experience working within a broadcast crew in various roles.
• Experience with ESPN broadcast elements (graphics packages, animation, and tape elements).
• Experience with the Adobe Creative Suite.
• Ability to manage, mentor, and train student interns and freelance workers.
• Knowledge of technology and industry trends.
• Excellent organizational skills to handle the volume and variety of projects for which they must be accomplished.
• Ability to meet deadlines, follow priorities and to schedule work on several projects at once.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• Frequent external imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one’s control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position; involves conflict-resolution or similar interactions involving emotional issues or stress on a regular basis.
• Ability to work in extreme weather conditions and work long hours.
• Job frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, and handling objects with hands, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
• Job occasionally requires standing, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and lifting more than 50 pounds.
• Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Please attach your Resume and cover letter to the Application.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.