Assist in academic advisement, oversee department's outreach and student activities, manages department's social media and oversees the maintenance of all department related records.
Salary Grade: 09
Please see Staff Compensation Structure for salary ranges.
Part of the Bagley College of Engineering, the department has approximately 1000 undergraduate and graduate students. The department offers undergraduate programs in Computer Science, Cyber Security and Operations, and Software Engineering, and jointly administers an undergraduate program in Computer Engineering with the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, At the graduate level, the department offers M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Computer Science and M.S. degrees in Cyber Security and Operations as well as Data Science. Also, the faculty directs graduate students in Computational Engineering. Certificates in Information Assurance, Cyber Operations and Computational Biology are also available. In the last fiscal year, research expenditures totaled over 7 million dollars. Research core areas for the department are cybersecurity, artificial intelligence, computational science, visualization and graphics, bioinformatics, parallel and distributed computing, software engineering, human-robot interaction, augmented and virtual reality, and computer science education. Faculty in the department are active in many university research centers such as the Center for Advanced Vehicular Systems, the Center for Cyber Innovation, the Center for Computational Science, and the Institute for Genomics, Biocomputing & Biotechnology. Mississippi State University, as an R1 Research University, has been designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Operations, Cyber Defense Research and Cyber Defense Education by the National Security Agency.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Processes requests for transcripts, student grade records, course descriptions, and other information in accordance with privacy laws and university policies.
2. Advise students in the role of supporting academic advisors.
3. Greets visitors in person or on the phone, providing customer service with advice and guidance regarding the registration process; may refer customers to appropriate department or university site.
4. Responds to inquiries by telephone or letter regarding academic standing, transcript problems, and unclear or irregular transcript requests.
5. Perform outreach activities.
6. Provides transcripts, enrollment verification, and degree certifications by mail, FAX, or telephone, according to prescribed procedures; advises students concerning their records.
7. Maintains files in proper order; pulls records for processing and refiles within physical and OneDrive folders.
8. Maintains logs of records release transactions initiated by other departments.
9.Manage prospective student visits, communications, and tours.
10.Oversee and maintain CSE social media postings and events or announcements.
11.Oversee student organization activities in the department.
12. Perform related duties as assigned.
Education: High School Diploma; Experience: 2-4 years of clerical experience. Any equivalent combination of related experience and/or education approved by the Department of Human Resources Management.
Experience in academic advising processes and maintenance of academic records.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Ability to evaluate student transcripts and/or records.
2. Ability to complete routine paperwork.
3. Ability to follow routine verbal or written instructions.
4. Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information.
5. Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications.
6. Records maintenance skills.
7. Ability to sort, check, count, and verify numbers.
8. Ability to work effectively with diverse populations.
9. Knowledge of the rules, regulations, and laws regarding student records.
10. Ability to communicate with and provide routine assistance to customers.
11. Clerical, word processing, and/or office skills.
12. Knowledge of customer service standards and procedures.
13. Skill in the use of operating basic office equipment.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
* Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
* No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
* No or very limited physical effort required.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must apply online and attach a cover letter, current resume', and the complete contact information for at least three professional references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.