Salary Grade: CPL-2
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Operates the 26 MW Generation Turbine Plant and performs all maintenance, testing and servicing as directed.
2. Work on generation computerized control systems and SCADA system, recognizing control alarms and resolve in short periods.
3. Work on installation, system start-up, commissioning, and testing generation plant to include the electric grid paralleling switchgear, to include minor repairs to the entire generation complex.
4. Adjust troubleshoot volume of gas feeds to generator turbines and ensure controlled air-cooled environment is maintained to turbine/generator compartments.
5. Check Generation Plant's turbines, gas compressors, and generation systems daily.
6. Perform minor repairs to the turbine generation plant.
7. Repair, maintain, alter, install and operate air delivery equipment, support components, heating and ventilating units which include heating and cooling coils, preheaters and dampers, and associated control systems.
8. Inspect, install, routine troubleshooting and repair piping fixtures and equipment including hand valves, relief valves pressure-reducing valves, lift pumps, vacuum pumps, circulating pumps, sump pumps, air compressors, hot water heaters and expansion joints.
9, Lubricate fans, motors, and pumps, change filters and belts, and adjust controls.
10. Perform preventive maintenance, test equipment for leaks and repair, where necessary.
11. Monitors and cleans turbine system to maintain proper operation.
12. Erect and work from ladders, scaffolding, boom trucks, and similar devices.
13. Recommend requisition materials and parts
14. Assist with or interpret blueprints, sketches, and job specifications.
15. Prepare as built drawings of mechanical systems, document job time and materials used.
16. Be knowledgeable of and comply with all safety and mechanical codes.
17. Perform related duties as assigned.
Education High School Diploma or equivalent. Experience 3 years in HVAC practices or any equivalent combination of related experience and/or education approved by the Department of Human Resources.
Valid Driver's License and EPA approved universal refrigerant handler's certificate.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
l. Knowledge of turbines, gas compressors and generation systems.
2. Knowledge and skills to repair, maintain and operate compressors, pumps, turbines, heaters and ventilating units.
3. Ability to work on generation computerized control systems.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Regularly involves lifting, bending or other physical exertion. Often exposed to one or more elements such as heat, cold, noise, dust, dirt, chemicals, etc.
Routine deadlines; usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume seasonal and predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; travel or other inconveniences have advance notice; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than immediate supervisor.
Job frequently requires standing, walking, reaching, climbing or balancing, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
Job occasionally requires sitting, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and lifting more than 100 pounds.
Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically, ability to distinguish colors.
Instructions for Applying:
All interested Applicant must apply online at www.msujobs.edu and complete a Support Staff Application.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.