Salary Grade: 14
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
The Office of Agricultural Communications provides communications leadership, products, and services for the MSU Extension Service and the Division of Agriculture, Forestry, and Veterinary Medicine and for selected organizations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Supports the mission of the Extension Service through the oversight, design, and maintenance of Extension Service’s web-based customer engagement system.
2. Cooperates with colleagues to envision, plan, and develop Extension’s online engagement strategies.
3. Ensures that design of website and other online information delivery is usable by mobile devices and that all such sites follow proper standards including but not limited to WCAG 2.0.
4. Provides support and training to Extension personnel regarding developing and updating web-based content.
5. Creates accessible, interactive forms and documents in HTML, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Acrobat, and Microsoft Word.
6. Edits and adapts images and other files for web delivery using Adobe Creative Cloud software.
7. Develops online applications through PHP and other online programming tools.
8. Collaborates with others to develop, manage, and support online interactive courses within a learning management system (Canvas).
9. Maintains a high level of knowledge and skills in current web publishing techniques, and researches new and emerging technologies and standards for web design, web applications, and online platforms.
10. Interacts with colleagues from other Extension services throughout the country when appropriate for the sharing of online Extension information relevant to multi‐state audiences.
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in a related field with one (1) year experience
Master’s degree in a related field.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Knowledge and understanding of HTML and CSS.
• Knowledge and understanding of database design and implementation.
• Skills in use of Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Cloud software to create, modify, and maintain documents and web content.
• Skills in the maintenance, installation, and upkeep of a web-based content management system, such as Drupal and Wordpress.
• Experience developing and/or managing courses in a learning management system, such as Canvas or Moodle.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• No unusual physical requirements. Must be able to sit at a computer for extended periods of time. Requires limited lifting of files and records and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility;
• Frequent external imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one’s control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position; involves conflict-resolution or similar interactions involving emotional issues or stress on a regular basis;
• Job frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands;
• Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants should submit an online application at jobs.msstate.edu along with cover letter, resume, unofficial transcript and contact information for three references.
Any social security numbers included on requested transcripts should be redacted prior to submitting online.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.