Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Support Linux-based computing systems.
2. Troubleshoot hardware and software systems.
3. Build, install, maintain and support commercial and open-source software stacks.
4. Provide networking infrastructure support for research activities.
5. Provide user support and applications consulting
6. Other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field.
Experience: 4 years of experience supporting Linux systems for a large user-base.
Substitution allowed: Any equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
Must be a U.S. Citizen or alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence.
1. Experience with Redhat/CentOS operating system.
2. Experience with the administration and operation of high performance computing clusters and systems, including the administrative management, software deployment, and user support.
3. Experience with the management and support of computer networking hardware and software.
4. Experience with cybersecurity tools and concepts.
5. Programming proficiency with C, C++, Java, Perl, PHP, and Shell programming languages.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Extensive knowledge of UNIX and Linux operating systems.
2. Knowledge building and supporting open-source software.
3. Well-developed interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to perform with professionalism and produce quality, reliable results.
4. Strong analytical and technical skills with an attention for detail and accuracy.
5. Self-motivated and directed, with the ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
• No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
• No or very limited physical effort required.
Instructions for Applying:
Apply online by submitting a cover letter, resume, and a copy of your transcript(s). Any social security numbers included on the requested transcripts should be redacted prior to submitting online.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.