Mississippi State University seeks a dynamic, experienced professional to join our recently reorganized Human Resources Management department. This is a unique opportunity to contribute, grow, and add value as we transform to a strategic partner with our community.
With over 22,000 students and 4,600 faculty and staff, MSU is located in Starkville, MS.
Mississippi State University represents the highest level of research activity for doctorate-granting institutions and is designated by the Carnegie Foundation as an R1-Very High Research Activity University. Also, a National Science Foundation “Top 100” research University, MSU shelters a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa, the nation’s oldest and most prestigious honor society, and values the talents of our distinguished faculty, staff, and student scholars. Here, a culture of inclusion is fostered and we’re driven each day to make a difference at the local, state, regional, national and global levels. At Mississippi State University, we invite you to join us as we continue our momentum in research, teaching, and service.
Salary Grade: 16
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. In collaboration with HRM leadership, University's Employee Benefits Committee, and applicable state and federal agencies, manages the University's benefits programs for all faculty and staff employees, including state retirement plans, health and welfare plans, life insurance plans, deferred compensation programs, and voluntary benefits.
2. Responsible for effective benefits procedures to ensure compliance with all plan provisions, university policies and procedures, payroll processes, and federal or state requirements and regulations.
3. Administers the policy for federal and state leave plans, including FMLA and workers compensation coordination with state leave laws.
4. Responsible for efficiencies in collecting and processing benefits enrollment for employees, providing data pertaining to the university's enrollment processes, and efficiently processing employees' benefits elections during annual open enrollment.
5. Manages the benefits accounting process to ensure accurate deductions, vendor payments and required reporting.
6. Supports and exhibits positive vendor interactions and relationships for current, prospective, or interested benefit partners.
7. Accurately completes and submits benefits reports to ensure university compliance with federal and state guidelines.
8. In collaboration with the Associate Director, manages a communication plan to educate faculty and staff about the university's benefit offerings. Along with staff, provides benefits, retirement, and financial planning counseling services to retirees, faculty, and staff.
9. Provides coverage as needed for the New Employee Orientation programs for staff and faculty.
10. Provides ongoing supervision to direct reports. Develops work schedules, job assignments, job training, oversight, and ongoing guidance. Conducts performance reviews and collaborates with Associate Director managing staff performance.
11. Provides guidance and information to employees and administrators on University benefits plans, policies and procedures.
12. Serves on the University's Employee Benefits Committee. Conducts utilization analysis for applicable voluntary benefit plans and prepares reports; provides value-added recommendations to the HRM leadership team based on outcome.
13. Conducts tracking and reporting of staff workload, productivity, and employee contacts. Provides monthly summaries of benefits office production.
14. Provides guidance and supervision to benefits staff on courteous and prompt customer service, and positive interactions with staff, faculty, and retirees.
15. Other appropriate duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, or related field.
2. Four years of progressively responsible human resources, business, or related experience. Three years of supervisory experience.
1. Experience administering/managing benefit plans.
2. Certified Employee Benefits Specialist (CEBS) or Certified Benefits Professional (CBP) preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Must have a thorough understanding of benefit concepts and theory. Working knowledge of applicable laws and regulations is required. The ability to understand technical benefits-related information, payroll processes, benefits operations, and best practices is required.
2. Proficient knowledge of Human Resources management principles.
3. Recent experience with compliance work in benefits-related regulatory areas including, but not limited to, COBRA, FMLA, 403(b), and/or 401(k), qualified health and welfare plans.
4. Experience coordinating multiple retirement programs and related investments for employee retirement plans.
5. Knowledge base should include a broad knowledge of public and private health and welfare benefit plans; experience in a major corporate environment preferred.
6. Experience and knowledge of employer retirement plans.
7. Strong presentation, oral and written communication skills.
8. Demonstrated customer service skills for all levels of an organization.
9. Strong skill set for use of technology, Microsoft Office including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
10. Experience with Banner or a similar HR/Payroll system for benefits administration.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
1. No unusual physical requirements. Requires no heavy lifting, and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility.
2. Routine deadlines; usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume seasonal and predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than immediate supervisor.
3. Job frequently requires sitting, handling objects with hands.
4. Job occasionally requires standing, walking, reaching, talking, hearing, and lifting up to 10 pounds.
5. Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Applicants must apply online and attach a cover letter and resume that includes the complete contact information for at least three references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.