The successful candidate for this position will have a 25% academic appointment and a 75% Extension Education appointment with emphasis in Leadership and Volunteer Development.
Salary Grade: UC
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
The School of Human Sciences provides education, research, and outreach programs related to human interaction and relationships, early childhood, child life, youth, adult and family studies, and teacher education in Family and Consumer Sciences and Agricultural Education. In addition, selected School programs focus on commerce, marketing, and using technology for problem solving and designing programs and projects.
Area of Specialization:
Agricultural Education, Leadership, and Communications with an emphasis on Agricultural Leadership and Volunteer Development
Anticipated Appointment Date:
July 1, 2020
Tenure Track Status:
Tenure-track 12-month position
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Serving as associate director of and instructor in the Thad Cochran Agricultural Leadership
• Teaching courses in agricultural leadership and/or volunteer development; advising
• Establishing an active and focused outreach/scholarship program, including securing
extramural funding for scholarship/outreach and publishing in respected journals and other
• Providing inservice education to Extension agents and specialists in leadership and
• Participating in leadership outreach activities, including working with external organizations
such as commodity groups, Farm Bureau, State Department of Ag and Commerce, FFA,
4-H, and others.
• Doctorate in agricultural education, Extension education, agricultural leadership, or a
closely related field. (ABD candidates will be considered.)
• Demonstrated interest in and commitment to diversity and to quality teaching in higher
• Ability to work effectively with students, faculty, administrators, and industry professionals.
• Exhibited initiative and drive when working with formal and nonformal education groups.
ABDs or degree pending considered (all but DISS):
ABDs will be accepted.
• Experience in teaching at the high school, Extension, or college/university setting.
• Excellent computer/technology skills, including distance education.
• Effective teaching skills.
• Effective communication skills using written, verbal, and interpersonal techniques.
• Success in competitive extramural funding.
• Experience in conducting and publishing research and/or scholarly work.
Instructions for Applying:
Applicants must apply online at www.jobs.msstate.edu. Please include a letter of application including statements of teaching expertise and interests, curriculum vitae, transcripts of graduate courses, and name, address, telephone number, and email address of three references able to evaluate the candidate’s potential.
Any social security numbers included on requested transcripts should be redacted prior to submitting online.
Review of applications will begin on March 1, 2020 and continue until the position is filled.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.