Salary Grade: 12
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Area of Specialization:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities include extensive travel for school visitations, individual counseling with students and parents, follow-up correspondence, telephone marketing, public relations related to student recruitment and all other aspects of student recruitment.
1. Participates in the development of operating goals and objectives for the unit.
2. Recommends, implements, and administers methods and procedures to enhance operations.
3. Participates in developing effective recruitment strategies.
4. Conducts all recruiting activities and follow-up with prospective students in an assigned territory.
5. Visits and participates at high schools, colleges college fairs, student conferences, to recruit students provide information to prospective students and their parents, and promote the college.
6. Prepares correspondence for prospective students.
7. Responds to email and telephone inquiries.
8. Represents Mississippi State University at conferences, meetings, and other official functions.
9. Attends alumni meetings and assist as needed.
10. Assist with the Orientation program.
11. Keep current on university programs and changes within the academic schools and colleges.
12. Assist with publications released by the Office of Admissions and Scholarships.
13. Contact alumni presidents and/or recruiting chairpersons within assigned territory.
14. Assist in visiting the community/junior colleges when the need arises.
15. Maintain an updated list of outstanding juniors and seniors and keep in contact with them.
16. Work closely with high school guidance counselors in assigned territory in the recruitment of prospective students.
17. Works with Assistant Director in assigned territory to plan recruiting events.
18. Perform other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: The Admission Counselor receives oral and written advice and/or instructions from the Associate Director for Recruiting.
SUPERVISION GIVEN: The Admission Counselor has indirect supervision over the support staff and student workers.
RELATIONSHIPS: The Admission Counselor serves as a liaison between prospective students and Mississippi State University
Bachelor’s degree. Valid driver’s license
In addition to the minimum, experience working with students, parents, university administrators, and faculty would be preferred.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Position requires extensive travel. Requires no heavy lifting, and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility. Routine deadline; usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume seasonable and predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than immediate supervisor. Job frequently requires standing, walking, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and lifting up to 10 pounds. Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.edu and attach a cover letter and resume.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.