The Academic Advisor functions as a key liaison between MSU and partner community colleges in the East-Central Mississippi region by staffing advisement centers on community college campuses that promote early advisement and ease of transfer to MSU. Additionally, the advisor serves as a key point of contact in assisting returning undergraduate students with registration.
Salary Grade: 13
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Anticipated Appointment Date:
March 1, 2020
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following examples are intended as illustrations only of the various types of duties assigned in positions allocated to this classification. The absence of specific statements of duties does not exclude those tasks from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment of the position.
1. Serves as a key liaison for MSU by establishing a permanent presence on assigned community college campuses. Regularly staffs office hours, builds collaborative relationships with community college faculty and staff, and is a key advocate for transfer to MSU.
2. Provides early advisement to students enrolled in partner programs of MSU-Meridian and the local community college. This advisement is aimed at reducing the accumulation of unnecessary coursework and assisting students In course selection that best prepare them to complete a bachelor's degree at MSU.
3. Ensures appropriate connection to residential campus programs and on-line programs through the Center for Distance Education for academic offerings not available at Meridian.
4. Provides Information to undergraduate students regarding Mississippi Department of Education certification requirements and advises appropriately with regard to teacher licensure deficiencies.
5. Confers with faculty advisors and department heads relative to academic records, credits, policy and program requirements.
6. Works closely with Enrollment Services to ensure appropriate admission, financial aid, and registration policies are followed. Serves as contact for prospective students and new students, explaining all admission requirements and degree program requirements. Conducts written follow-up with students to encourage enrollment.
7. Provides unofficial transcript evaluations to determine which courses meet requirements for specific curricula and how to best advise students on preparing to transfer to MSU.
8. Facilitates registration for all first-time students.
9. Records academic record information for the maintenance of the academic student file for production of status reports for each students and their advisor.
10. Ensures that all academic paperwork (e.g. phase form, petition, overload, program of study) is sent to the appropriate department or college office.
11. Composes correspondence involving a high degree of judgment,originality, and a broad knowledge of University practices and procedures.
12. Assists with orientation, preregistration, and registration procedures.
13. Collaborates with a team in sharing ideas on how to best serve local community college students in feeder programs.
14. Answers email inquiries sent by prospective and new students.
15. Assists the adult learner/transfer students throughout the semester, not just at the beginning of the term, to aid in retention.
16. Compiles statistical data for various reports as requested.
17. Performs the most difficult assignments with judgment and discretion.
18. Reaches established new start goals for students enrolling from the partner community colleges.
20. Assists in coordination of functions in the advisement office including phone calls, walk-ins, etc.
21. Other duties as assigned by the Coordinator of Advisement and Transfer Partnerships.
Bachelor's degree. One year of experience working in a student or customer service role on a college campus.
Education and experience beyond the minimum. Experience working in settings that promote an understanding of technical education or corporate relations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Ability to communicate and relate to students and university personnel.
2. Knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet programs.
3. Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
1. Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
2. No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
3. No or very limited physical effort required.
Instructions for Applying:
Applicants must apply at www.msujobs.msstate.edu and attach a cover letter and resume that includes the complete contact information for three professional references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.