Job no: 499817
Position type: Full-Time 12-Month
Department: 184000 - CVM Clinical Science Department
Location: Main Campus - Starkville, MS
Categories: Support Staff
Position Open Date:
Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provide intensive care treatment and monitoring for critically ill patients admitted to the Animal Health Center.
2. Assist and support the receiving and care of after hours emergency and referral patients.
3. Instruct, evaluate, and assist professional (DVM) veterinary students and veterinary technology (BS) students on technical health care procedures and skills.
4. Act as a senior level manager of ICU and Emergency Service in absence of faculty members or house officers, ICU technicians are responsible for case monitoring, decision making, consulting, and overall management to ensure the highest possible patient outcome.
5. Maintain all medical recordkeeping in accordance with college policy and veterinary medical accreditation standards.
6. Check, stock, clean, maintain, supply, organize, re-stock, and disinfect the ICU and SAIM areas.
7. Set-up, monitor, maintain, and use specialized diagnostic and therapeutic equipment in patient care.
8. Perform a wide range of diagnostic procedures with appropriate sample submission to the laboratory.
9. Supervise and/or administer anesthesia during diagnostic or therapeutic procedures.
10. Restrain, move, and handle animals while instructing others on appropriate techniques, protocols and treatment schedules.
11. Interact with the college's stakeholders including the general public, co-workers, students, and faculty demonstrating excellent verbal and written communication skills in a professional manner.
12. Regulate and monitor after hours access to pharmaceuticals and supplies.
13. Work various shifts as assigned and directed to provide adequate coverage (24/7/365) for the unit.
14. Perform related duties as assigned.
Education: Associate Degree Veterinary Medicine or Veterinary Technology
Experience (yrs.): 2 years Direct Experience
Applicants that adequately demonstrate the possibility of meeting the minimum requirements in terms of experience, Education: and/or program requirements within the next 12 months will be considered. The minimum requirements must be met prior to employment start date.
Any equivalent combination of related experience and/or Education: approved by the Department of Human Resources Management.
1. Bachelors Degree
2. Certified Veterinary technician (AD)/technologist (BS)
3. Specialty Certification in Emergency and Critical Care
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
2. Records maintenance skills.
3. Ability gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
4. Skill in use of personal computers and related software applications.
5. Database management skills.
6. Ability to analyze and solve problems.
7. Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials.
8. Knowledge of human resources process, procedures, and documentation, as applicable to a public institution.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
No unusual physical requirements. Requires some heavy lifting, and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility.
Routine deadlines; usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume seasonal and predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than immediate supervisor.
Job frequently requires sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, and handling objects with hands.
Job occasionally requires standing, walking, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Submit application and any requested documents online.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Advertised: Central Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend