Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Area of Specialization:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• The Art Instructor/Coordinator must be able to work closely with individual artists who identify with a disability and develop relationships with new artists.
• Develop, prepare, and instruct art lessons and classes for a wide age range of participants, particular emphasis on painting
• Set up/prepare equipment to be used on a daily basis and maintain equipment and supplies. Ensure all art equipment is being properly used and maintained by consumers.
• Organize artist portfolios. Develop and maintain database of work for potential sales and gallery participation
• Assist in organizing art shows and events which may include matting, framing, and installation and tear down of shows.
• Greet the public and assist consumers with presenting and discussing their work with the public.
• Assist with sale of artwork (in person and online), packaging, and shipping.
• Respond to phone calls, emails, walk-ins, or other visitors to the office seeking information about the program.
• General office support including: answering phones, taking messages, answering emails, managing mail, monitoring and ordering office supplies
- Bachelor’s degree in Art, Communications, Marketing, Graphic Design or the like.
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communication skills
- Experience with general office management including email communication, answering phones, office supply management
- Experience with painting and teaching others
- Some art handling experience a plus, but not mandatory
- Highly organized and comfortable working on long-term projects independently
- Experience with social media
- Experience working with individuals with developmental and physical disabilities
- Bookkeeping experience
- Experience with various art programs, e.g. painting, drawing, sculpting, etc.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Skill in building relationships with student, families, and faculty/staff. Outstanding interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to build relationships with other university, community, and global units.
- Excellent decision-making and time-management skills.
- Ability to work in close-knit office as part of a team.
- Ability to interact with alumni relations.
- Experience working with computer and web-based applications.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- Job frequently requires sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, and handling objects with hands.
- Job occasionally requires standing, walking, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and lifting up to 15 pounds.
- Vision requirements: Ability to see signed language and information in print and/or electronically.
- Hearing requirements: Ability to hear spoken English at normal conversational volume.
Instructions for Applying:
Complete application online at http//www.jobsmsstate.edu and attach cover letter and resume.
Position contingent upon funding availability.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.