This position reports directly to the Technology Manager within the Center for Distance Education within Mississippi State University. This position is responsible for implementing the ongoing development of division websites: day to day maintenance, navigation and browser capability, quality control. Document web best practices and write maintainable HTML/PHP code with comment tags. Assist in development of new look and feel for web sites, update all content, assist in redevelopment and maintenance of sites over time and advise staff and outside departments on how to best optimize their content for online deployment. Analyze current web sites, track marketing campaigns and interpret results for outside departments within Google Analytics.
Salary Grade: 14
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Anticipated Appointment Date:
March 16, 2020
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Designs and develops websites ensuring strong optimization and functionality.
2. Assists in the planning of overall division policy regarding search engine optimization and web development.
3. Works with campus ITS to monitor site technical performance and web server.
4. Works on projects including web layout enhancements, desktop applications, website enhancements, web-based applications, and database-backed websites.
6. Interacts with servers using SSH, FTP, and Telnet protocols.
7. Work in a variety of development frameworks including Ruby on Rails, PEAR, and Smarty.
8. Works with various database systems including PostgreSQL, MySQL, and SQL Server and frameworks including ADO and ODBC.
9. Analyzes, reviews, and modifies web system by designing, maintaining, documenting, testing, developing, and monitoring
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree in Related Field
Master's Degree in Related Field
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Knowledge of common programming languages including XML and PHP
• Working knowledge of responsive web design using HTML5 and CSS3
• Good database knowledge, especially SQL Server or MySQL
• Ability to track/interpret campaigns and websites within Google Analytics
• Knowledge of Content Management Systems
• Good understanding of major operating systems
• Desire to stay updated on current and new technologies
• Ability to multitask and strong time management and organizational skills
• Excellent communication skills and attention to detail
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• No unusual physical requirements. Requires no heavy lifting and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility.
• Externally imposed deadlines; set or revised on short notice; frequent shifts in priority; numerous interruptions requiring immediate attention; unusual pressure on a daily basis to accountability for success for major projects or areas of operation.
• Job frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, and handling objects with hands.
• Job occasionally requiring standing and lifting up to 25 pounds.
• Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Applicants must apply online at https://www.msujobs.msstate.edu
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.