Director, Health Promotion and Wellness
Job no: 499948
Position type: Full-Time 12-Month
560109 - Health Promotion and Wellness
Location: Main Campus - Starkville, MS
Position Open Date:
The Director of Health Promotion and Wellness is responsible for the effective operation and administration of health education programming and services relating to general health education and wellness and specific university student health. The Director is also responsible for planning, implementing and evaluating health education programming in support of the stated mission of the University and of the Division of Student Affairs. The Director monitors national trends and helps to ensure that relevant outreach, educational programming and resources are provided to meet the needs of the campus community. Additionally, the Director of Health Promotion and Wellness provides strategic leadership and guidance in the development of a healthy environment for students, faculty and staff at Mississippi State University.
Salary Grade: 16
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide administrative direction and leadership to the department.
- Provides administrative supervision for staff persons responsible for providing educational programs, training, and resources.
- Develop strategic plan for all health education and wellness programs.
- Assist in development of tasks and skills of employees.
- Develop operational guidelines and program evaluation.
- Manage grant documentation for programming including attending required professional development training. Prepare reports as required by grant.
- Collaborate with community on grant implementation and program initiatives.
- Demonstrate leadership, influence, communication, partnership and collaborating skills to staff.
- Notify campus entities of national occurrences to keep abreast of local trends.
- Create and implement the institutional effectiveness report including the demonstration of assessing the departments goals for MSU.
- Collaborate with other departments in the division and university.
- Provide Supervision to Assistant Director of Health Education and all other Staff.
- Identify, develop and facilitate programs to increase awareness and knowledge.
- Promote staff development and conduct in-service training as appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Master’s degree in Health Promotion or a related discipline from an accredited university.
3-5 years of related experience to the essential duties and responsibilities
- Earned Doctorate in Health Promotion or a related discipline from an accredited university.
- Supervisory experience.
- Experience working in higher education.
- Experience writing grant proposals.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Professional supervision and consultation skills.
- Administrative and leadership skills.
- Strategic, budget-planning, and management skills.
- Program evaluation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Skills to work effectively in a complex organizational environment.
- Knowledge of and adherence to appropriate ethical guidelines.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- No unusual physical requirements. Requires limited lifting of files and records and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility.
- Frequent- External imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one’s control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position; involves conflict-resolution or similar interactions involving emotional issues or stress on a regular basis.
- Job frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands.
- Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must apply online at www.jobs.msstate.edu and submit a resume, cover letter, and the complete contact information for at least 3 references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend