This position reports to the director of Office of Technology Management (OTM) and is responsible for coordinating MSU’s technology commercialization program in six major areas.
Salary Grade: 15
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Manage and administer required compliance with federal sponsorship and government reporting in compliance with the Bayh Dole Act of 1980.
• Provide timely and accurate reporting on inventions to funding government agencies, inform agencies about title election, issue confirmatory licenses to the US Government, and keep agencies apprised of resulting patenting and licensing activities.
• Ensure that obligations to non-government sponsors are satisfied in a timely and accurate manner.
• Work closely with office director and licensing associates to communicate filing deadlines and priorities.
• Support and manage required compliance with federal sponsorship obligations and government reporting.
• Responsible for maintaining a working knowledge of current federal rules and regulations; maintain rapport with regulatory personnel in an effort to facilitate in resolving concerns.
• Research regulations by reviewing regulatory bulletins and other sources of information; communicate with other staff members as to updates and changes in reporting requirements.
• Maintain data base records to ensure OTM’s records are up-to-date, reconciled, and complete.
2. Manage compliance and tracking of license terms.
• Audit intellectual property license agreements for due diligence requirements.
i. Track royalties due or reimbursement of patent expenses
ii. Contact companies regarding efforts and accomplishments to commercialize IP
• Responsible for disbursing licensing income (royalties, maintenance fees, and option fees) to inventors/creators, MSU units, and other institutions as required by university policy and various agreements.
3. Coordinate filing and prosecution of patents and copyrights.
• Responsible for working with outside patent counsel to assure patent applications are filed prior to bar dates and other deadlines of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
• Supervise the registration of software copyrights with the U.S. Copyright Office.
• Oversee payment of legal fees to patent counsel.
• Manage intellectual property docketing to ensure compliance with U.S. Patent and Trademark Office deadlines and bar dates
4. Oversee the review and processing of invention disclosures.
• Supervise the review of invention disclosure forms for joint inventorship, bar dates and signatures, etc.
• Assure compliance of MSU’s Intellectual Property Policy (MSU OP 76.01).
• Oversee the execution of MSU Unit Agreements, Inventors’ Agreements, Confidentiality Agreements and other miscellaneous agreements by appropriate parties.
5. Administration of office activities.
• Supervise the general functions of the OTM Office.
• Responsible for development and supervision of subordinate office staff.
• Prepare and monitor the OTM budgets and make recommendations to the director regarding the assets and expenditures of the OTM Program, OTM Development Fund, and other grant/contract budgets.
• Attend meetings of the Association University of Technology Managers to improve the functions of the office.
• Coordinate activities between the OTM Office and the MSU Research and Technology Corp.
6. Market MSU’s intellectual property (IP).
• Publicize MSU’s OTM Office (internal) and MSU’s IP (external) through newsletters, brochures, publicity releases and the OTM website.
• Responsible for the functionality of the OTM website.
• Write/Edit one page summaries for promoting technologies.
• Organize educational and recognition events.
• Coordinate activities of consultants as required.
Supervisory Responsibility: Supervises Technology Licensing Assistant and directs the activities of undergraduate and graduate students.
Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Public Policy & Administration, Prelaw, Communications, or a related field.
Public relations experience or experience working in a service-oriented environment. A familiarity with science and technology. Experience working as a paralegal, legal assistant or business manager. Experience using Banner and experience in a variety of computer skills.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Accuracy and ability to meet deadlines are critical to the role of Licensing Coordinator and Government Compliance Manager. Candidate must be a self-starter and take initiative to process and prioritize workload.
• Strong time management skills.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to interact with a diverse clientele, maintain confidentiality and work in a team environment.
• Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications.
• Ability to document work in progress.
• Ability to lead and train staff and/or students.
Instructions for Applying:
Please submit resume, cover letter, and list of references.
Position contingent upon funding availability.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.