To operate heavy equipment in the construction, maintenance, and repair of University property and facilities.
Salary Grade: HEO-E
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Operate various earth moving equipment such as bulldozer, motor grader, scraper, backhoe, tractor, truck, etc., to prepare roads, building sites, drainage ditches, and other land preparation projects.
2. Assist with welding and other mechanical shop duties in support of primary assignment.
3. Loads and transports materials from one location to another.
4. Operate a diamond drill press and jackhammer to drill holes in concrete and other structures for utility access.
5. Perform routine welding and other mechanical shop duties in support of primary assignment.
6. Perform routine maintenance on equipment such as lubricating, fueling, and cleaning; where repair is not possible, notify appropriate personnel in order to replace or repair equipment.
7. Maintain accurate written or computer generated records of repairs and maintenance work performed.
8. Assist with estimating time, materials, and equipment in order to accomplish job.
9. Interpret diagrams, blueprints, sketches, and job specifications.
10. Adapt commercial available components to meet specialized needs.
11. Perform related duties as assigned.
Ability to read and write plus one year of experience.
Focus of Education High School Diploma or Equivalent Focus of Experience, Experience in area of specialization.
Substitution Any equivalent combination of related experience and/or education approved by the Department of Human Resources Management.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Valid Driver’s License and Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) may be required for some positions.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Frequent, heavy, or intense physical requirements combined with exposure to a number of disagreeable elements, such as heat, cold, noise, dust, dirt, and chemicals. Constant precautions required.
Occasional-Routine deadlines; usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume seasonal and predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; travel or other inconveniences have advance notice; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than immediate supervisor.
Job frequently requires standing, walking, reaching, climbing or balancing, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
Job occasionally requires sitting, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and lifting more than 100 pounds.
Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
All Interested Applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.edu and complete a Support Staff Application.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.