Job no: 500224
Position type: Full-Time 12-Month
460100 - Enterprise Information Systems
Location: Main Campus - Starkville, MS
Position Open Date:
The computer programmer position will work as a team member in Enterprise Information Systems. Specific duties include assessment and programming support to the analytic staff in designing, developing, coding, maintaining, and testing database, web services, and application software.
Salary Grade: 13
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Acquire knowledge of enterprise software applications, programming procedures, and standards.
- Design, code, and test application software, as well as modify existing software to reflect changes in system or application requirements.
- Design and develop software efficiently, adhering to established programming standards.
- Perform general application administration and access management tasks.
- Prepare and maintain quality documentation to manage program development and revisions.
- Prepare instructions and user documentation.
- Complete assigned tasks, meeting deadlines.
- Respond to and solve problems.
- Modify programs to increase operating efficiency.
- Respond to changes in work processes.
- Prepare test data and validate software for accuracy.
- Be available weekends and nights for performance of duties, including periodic on-call responsibilities.
- Establish and maintain effective communications with clients and ITS staff.
- Be supportive and understanding with clients.
- Demonstrate good work ethics.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Computer Engineering, or a related field.
Substitutions allowed for Education: 4 years of full-time work experience in information systems or equivalent combination of education and full-time work experience in information systems.
- Knowledge of the following languages and technologies: C, Java, SQL PL/SQL, XML, Groovy/Grails, HTTP, LDAP, SOAP, GIT, Spring, Hibernate, Tomcat, Weblogic.
- Knowledge of development environment tools such as Eclipse, Subversion, IntelliJ, Maven, and Ant.
- Experience with Banner, Learning Management System, Luminis, and/or Kuali.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong technical skills in the areas of software development and application administration. Must be able to quickly learn new technologies and programming languages.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to plan and organize, personal initiative, demonstrated ability to perform with professionalism and work within a team environment.
- Knowledge of a relational database management system such as Oracle or SQL Server.
- Knowledge of Unix/Linux.
- Considerable knowledge of the theories and principles of information systems, relational databases, and programming.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- Sitting: required to be able to sit for long periods, as typical days will involve sitting at a PC or workstation or sitting in meetings.
- Dexterity and visual acuity: required to be able to use computer screens and keyboards.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu by attaching a cover letter and resume which includes the names and addresses of 3 professional references. We will accept applications only from persons with indefinite employment authorization in the U.S., and will not sponsor for nonimmigrant or immigrant status for this position.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend