Oversees, assigns, and trains employees in all aspects of proper and safe landscape techniques in order to maintain and improve University grounds.
Salary Grade: 15
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Supervise, schedule, and assign work of the landscape crews and outside contractors, and monitor their work in order to assure proper staffing and quality standards.
2. Inspects jobs equipment, and tools in order to assure compliance with codes, guidelines, university standards, and safety rules.
3. Assist in interviews, recommend for employment, train, evaluate and discipline the maintenance crew support staff.
4. Inspect grounds for needs daily maintenance or repair.
5. Respond to questions, complaints, and needs of all levels of university employees, students, and the public in order to provide technical information and assistance when
6. Submit orders to Campus Landscape Superintendent, control and account for supplies and equipment in order to maintain an adequate inventory: document and approve job time
and materials used.
7. Interact with Department Heads, other University Management and Skilled Crafts Supervisors in order to discuss, review, and coordinate work.
8. This position has responsibility for the health and/or safety of others. Responsibilities include overseeing the safe use of equipment and materials and maintaining safety standards for the support staff when working.
9. Performs related duties as assigned.
May be responsible for training, assisting or assigning tasks to others. May provide input to performance reviews of other employees.
Minimum Required Education and Experience.
Education: Bachelor's degree Horticulture, Landscape Architecture, Agronomy/Turf Grass Management, or related field.
Experience: Five years (5) progressively responsible experience in landscape management.
Any equivalent combination of related education and related experience may be considered for this position.
Restricted use Pesticide Certification required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications.
• Knowledge of grounds maintenance and turf equipment operations.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
• Knowledge of turf management, irrigation, refuse removal and equipment maintenance.
' Knowledge of project management principles, practices, techniques, and tools.
• Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
• Knowledge of horticultural practices, plant taxonomy, and insect/disease control.
• Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
• Knowledge and understanding of landscaping principles and methods.
Employee development and performance management skills.
• Knowledge of growth habits, care, and pruning methods for flowers, trees, and shrubs. 'Knowledge of greenhouse operations, plant propagation, and disease control methods and techniques.
• Knowledge of pest management principles, techniques, agents, and equipment.
• Knowledge of all aspects of plant health care.
• Knowledge of chemical, hazardous waste, industrial hygiene, and/or environmental health standards.
• Knowledge of landscaping and groundskeeping equipment operation and maintenance requirements.
• Knowledge of waste removal and recycling procedures, regulations, and standards.
' Knowledge of federal, state, and local regulations, guidelines, and standards pertaining to pest management.
Knowledge and understanding of landscaping construction and repair techniques.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Regularly involves lifting, bending, or other physical exertion. Often exposed to one or more elements such as heat, cold, noise, dust, dirt, chemicals, etc.
Routine deadlines; usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume seasonal and predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than immediate supervisor.
Job frequently requires standing, walking, reaching, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
Job occasionally requires sitting, climbing or balancing, and lifting up 100 pounds.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
All interested Applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.edu and complete a Professional Staff Application.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.