Manages and coordinates the business operations of a department/unit. Performs duties required to maintain and administer departmental budgets; administers staff policies and/or procedures; compiles reports; performs administrative procedures.
Salary Grade: 15
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
For information about the department of Chemistry, please visit
Anticipated Appointment Date:
July 16, 2020
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Maintain department/unit budget and provides budgetary reports to senior management within the unit.
2. Coordinates with other University departments to process financial and personnel transactions. Communicates with the Controller’s office, Procurement and Contracts office on all activities related to accounts receivable and accounts payable for assigned budget. Prepare interdepartmental transfers and budget transfers between budgetary units as required.
3. Reconcile and balance financial records with the Controller’s office on a regular basis, audit financial records for accuracy, availability of funds and conformance to University and departmental policy and procedure.
4. May coordinate financial aspects of research proposals, contracts, and sub-contracts, including the development of budget, proposal preparation, and adherence to funding requirements; serves as a liaison with university administrators, state, federal, and private funding sources.
5. May participate in development, implementation and maintenance of policies, objectives, short-and long-range planning; develops and implements projects and programs to assist in the accomplishment of established goals.
6. Communicate with staff concerning business matters and advise of proper procedures. Stay abreast of University financial and personnel policies and procedures. Coordinate and maintain personnel functions for assigned unit/department.
7. Participates in the development and implementation of department/unit programs and projects consistent with organizational objectives, contractual arrangements, and/or funding availability.
8. Assists with the development and management of annual operating budget(s).
9. Assists in preparing annual budget based upon previous year's expenses and future requirements.
10. Develops and implements systems to maintain records on employees, equipment and compliance activities.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance or other appropriate discipline
Experience (yrs.): 1 year directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified
Experience in pre-award and post-award grant management.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
• Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
• Knowledge of customer service principles, techniques, systems, and standards.
• Skill in budget management.
• Knowledge of faculty and/or staff hiring procedures.
• Knowledge and understanding of business management principles and practices.
• Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications.
• Skill using BANNER system.
• Ability to develop and maintain recordkeeping systems and procedures.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
• No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
• No or very limited physical effort required.
• Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu and attach a cover letter, current resume, and contact information for three professional references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.