The MBA Admissions and Advising Specialist reviews MBA application, recommends admissions decision, and advises students in the on campus and online MBA Programs; serves as a resource/problem solver for current, returning, and transfer MBA students; serves as liaison to Center for Distance Education staff; assists the Director, MBA Programs with the management of MBA programs in the College of Business.
Employees hired into Intermittent positions are limited to working no more than 720 hours per fiscal year.
Salary Grade: 13
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Anticipated Appointment Date:
August 1, 2020
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assist the Director, MBA programs in scheduling and conducting interviews for on-campus MBA applicants and manages scoring rubrics.
2. Assist the Director, MBA Programs in evaluating application packets for on-campus and online admission decisions.
3. Assist the Director, MBA Programs in planning and implementing orientation and other events for on campus and online students.
4. Provide course advising to graduate business students as assigned.
5. Determine what courses are transferable to MSU to meet degree requirements, evaluate transcripts for degree purposes, correspond with Provost Office and/or Registrar's Office regarding graduation requirements, course drops, withdrawals, student petitions, etc.
6. Prepare paperwork to add/drop or withdraw students from courses and prepare paperwork for graduating students.
7. Interpret University policies involving curriculum matters.
8. Validate degree requirement for graduate business students.
9. Other duties as assigned.
Minimum required education:
Bachelor's degree in business or related field, two years experience in academic advising and / or distance programs.
Master's degree in business or student related field.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
Strong computer skills.
Working knowledge of MSU's policies and procedures.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
No unusual physical requirement. Requires no heavy lifting, and nearly all work is performed in an comfortable indoor facility.
Routine deadlines, usually sufficient lead time, variance in work volume seasonal and predictable, priorities can be anticipated, some interruptions are present, involves occasional exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than immediate supervisor.
Job frequently requires sitting, talking, hearing.
Job occasionally requires standing, walking, reaching, handling objects with hands, and lifting up to 25 pounds.
Vision requirement: Ability to see information in print and or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
All applicants must apply on line at www.msujobs.msstate.edu and attach a cover letter, current resume, or curriculum vitae, and the complete contact information for at least three professional references.
This position is contingent upon the availability of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.