To coordinate and participate in the planting and routine care of trees, shrubs, ground covers, perennials and annual plantings.
Salary Grade: HCM-1
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Individual must have a strong work ethic and good eye for detail.
2. Proficient operation of edger, blower, trimmer, mower, and other equipment.
3. Knowledgeable in the process of installing shrubs, trees and annual plant material within the landscape.
4. Mow grass, mulch leaves, clean-up grounds and grounds maintenance practices designated areas of campus.
5. Assists with appropriate weed/pest control (both manually and chemically) for beds, lawn and landscape areas.
6. Ability to provide proper maintenance and being comfortable using multiple pieces of power equipment and machinery such as: chain saws, edger, weed eaters, push and/or riding mowers, backhoes, tractor etc. May procure supplies, parts, and tools as needed.
7. Operate and make minor adjustments to mowers or equipment to ensure proper operation and results.
8. May perform special projects related to various aspects of Facilities Management as assigned by supervisor.
9. Must be flexible and able to perform related duties as assigned
Minimum Education: Ability to read and write.
Experience: One year Horticulture, Focus: Landscape operations or related field
Valid Driver's License required.
Ability to obtain chemical applicators certification within one year of employment.
An equivalent combination of related education and related experience may be considered for this position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Ability to read and understand pesticide labels.
Ability to operate farm equipment and landscape machinery.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Regularly involves lifting, bending or other physical exertion. Often exposed to one or more elements such as heat, cold, noise, dust, dirt, chemicals, etc.
Occasional-Routine deadlines; usually adequate lead time; variance in work volume seasonal and predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; travel or other inconveniences have advance notice; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than immediate supervisor.
Job frequently requires standing, walking, reaching, climbing or balancing, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
Job occasionally requires sitting, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and lifting more than 100 pounds.
Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
All interested Applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.edu and complete a Support Staff Application.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.