Maintain, repair, replace, alter, or fabricate a wide variety of structural systems including complex systems using all types of materials, tools, and methods, and supervise subordinate carpenters as designated by the Carpentry Supervisor.
Salary Grade: CAR-M
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Monitor work in order to assure quality performance.
2. Inspect assigned jobs, equipment and tools in order to assure compliance with codes, guidelines, university standards, and safety rules.
3. Verify and approve requisitions; order, control and account for supplies and equipment in order to maintain an adequate inventory for assigned projects; document and approve job time and materials used.
4. Inspect plans, prints, sketches and specifications for assigned projects and related jobs and provide technical assistance.
5. Construct, erect, install, or repair structures, components, or fixtures of wood, plywood, wallboard, etc. including doors, hardware, windows, glass, screens, ceilings, flooring, interior and exterior trim, gutters, roofing, and waterproofing, by using hand tools and power tools.
6. Fabricate and install forms for poured in place materials. Pour and finish concrete.
7. Erect and work from ladders, scaffolds, swing stages, boom trucks, and similar devices.
8. Determine type and dimensions of materials and hardware to be used.
9. Interpret blueprints, diagrams, sketches, and job specifications.
10. Design, fabricate, alter, or repair cabinets, bookcases, shelving, furniture or fixtures.
11. Assist with training and directing Carpenter I and II employees.
12. This position has responsibility for the health and/or safety of others. Responsibilities include overseeing the safe use of equipment and materials and maintaining safety standards for the support staff when working in hazardous or dangerous conditions.
13. Perform related duties as assigned.
Education: High School Diploma or GED.
Experience: Six (6) Years in commercial, industrial or residential.
An equivalent combination of related education and related experience may be considered for this position.
Certification or Licensure Requirements: Valid Driver’s License
Post-secondary training or education in a relevant field.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Knowledge of methods, materials, tools, equipment, occupational hazards, and safety precautions of the trade.
* Knowledge of applicable building codes, rules, and regulations.
* Skill in reading and interpreting blue prints. Developed supervisory skills.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Work involves exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
2. Requires handling of medium-weight objects up to 40 lbs. on a regular basis and on occasion up to 75 lbs.
3. Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require following basic safety precautions.
Regularly involves lifting, bending or other physical exertion. Often exposed to one or more elements such as heat, cold, noise, dust, dirt, chemicals, etc.
Routine deadlines; usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume seasonal and predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; travel or other inconveniences have advance notice; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than immediate supervisor.
Job frequently requires standing, walking, reaching, climbing or balancing, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
Job occasionally requires sitting, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and lifting more than 100 pounds.
Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
All interested Applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.edu and complete a Support Staff Application.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.