The Office Manager will oversee the general administrative function and activities of the office. Oversees such actions as business operations, human resources administration, accounts payable, accounts receivable, business resources, facilities operations, etc.
Salary Grade: 13
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Oversees and administers the day-to-day activities of the office; develops policies, procedures, and systems which ensure productive and efficient office operation.
2. Provides assistance and support in problem solving, project planning and management, and development and execution of stated goals and objectives.
3. Supervises the work of employees in supporting roles, including assigning workload and monitoring employee performance.
4. Oversees and facilitates resources management.
5. Performs research and analysis on specific issues, as required, and independently prepares non-routine letters and/or reports.
6. Serves as the primary point of administrative contact and liaison with other departments and/or individuals on operational matters concerning the office.
7. Coordinates the business operations. Plans and monitors expenditures, as appropriate, develops and/or coordinates budgets for the office and associated accounts.
8. Provides and/or oversees provision of staff support to the office, to include handling walk-up and phone interactions, maintaining calendars and travel arrangements, screening, analyzing, and responding to incoming correspondence, handling day-to-day problems and situations, and provision of clerical support.
9. Provides assistance in the understanding and interpretation of University policies and procedures, as appropriate, and ensures office operations are in compliance with University policies and procedures.
10. Assists in the coordination, supervision, and completion of special projects, as appropriate.
11. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, or other appropriate discipline.
Any equivalent combination of related education and related experience may be considered for the position.
Experience in fiscal services, administration and/or human resources.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
• Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
• Records maintenance skills.
• Ability to analyze and solve problems.
• Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
• Ability to lead and train staff and/or students.
• Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Knowledge of office management principles and procedures.
• Ability to make administrative and procedural decisions and judgments on sensitive, confidential issues.
• Skills in the use of database management, word processing, spreadsheet, and/or presentation software.
• Organizing and coordinating skills.
• Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
• Effective verbal and written communication skills.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• No or very limited physical effort required.
• No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
• Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
Instructions for Applying:
Applicant must apply online. Please include cover letter and resume along with names and addresses of three references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.