Provides administrative support in maintaining a general accounting system for a division, department, or other separately budgeted unit by performing a variety of accounting duties.
Salary Grade: 12
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Mississippi State University is Mississippi's senior comprehensive land-grant institution and has the largest on-campus enrollment (>22,000) of the eight state institutions of higher learning. All components of the university have a strong commitment to teaching, research, and service. The Department of Plant and Soil Sciences has 31 on- and 26 off-campus faculty members engaged in teaching, research, and extension and/or service programs, most of who carry joint appointments. The programs are supported by state-of-the-art laboratories, equipment, and trained support and professional staff. The department offers Bachelor of Science degrees in Agronomy, Horticulture, or Environmental Sciences in Agricultural Systems, with Master's or Doctoral graduate students concentrating in Agronomy, Horticulture, or Weed Science.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Reconcile and assist with fiscal administration for the department/unit, including but not limited to budgets, funding, grants, contracts, payroll, employment, travel, and/or purchasing; may assist with fiscal planning, including participating in seeking alternate sources of funding.
2. Maintain an efficient system of receiving, posting, and depositing revenue and receiving, verifying, posting, and processing vouchers for payment of goods and services.
3. Prepare requisitions for purchases; communicate with vendors for prices, bids, and other information.
4. Prepare journal entries to record income, expenditures, interest, fund transfers, encumbrances, etc.
5. Transfer funds between accounts following established guidelines.
6. Prepare various accounting schedules, statements, and reports for monthly and annual reporting.
7. Reconcile division financial records with university accounting records.
8. Gathers data for budget preparation and inventory reports; prepares or assists in the preparation of the annual budget, and procures all supplies, furniture, and office equipment.
9. Maintain files and records in support of accounting data.
10. Perform related duties as assigned.
Education: High school diploma
Experience (yrs.): 4-6 years Directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Indicated education is required; no substitutions allowed.
When a candidate has the required education, but lacks the required experience, they may normally apply additional appropriate education toward the experience requirement, at a rate of one (1) year relevant education per year of required experience.
1. Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business.
2. Experience in fund accounting.
3. Banner experience, specifically procurement cards, acquisitions, requisitions.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Knowledge and previous experience using Microsoft Excel and Word.
* Ability to operate computer keyboard and 10-key electronic calculator.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
* Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
* No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
* No or very limited physical effort required.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must apply online at www.jobs.msstate.edu and attach a cover letter, resume and submit official transcripts. Please remove any social security numbers included on requested transcripts prior to online submission.
For additional questions, please contact Katie Sisk at email@example.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.