Performs a variety of basic to complex office support and/or secretarial duties for a specified unit/department, which require a range of skills and knowledge of organizational policies and procedures.
Salary Grade: 09
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
The Department of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Entomology & Plant Pathology is a comprehensive department with an academic, research and service mission. The Department offers B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. degrees from the College of Agriculture and Life Science, and currently advises approximately 330 undergraduates and 60 graduate students.
Area of Specialization:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Performs a wide variety of clerical duties which could be confidential in nature; operates personal computer to perform basic to complex typing assignments to include: enter data, draft, edit, revise, and print letters, tables, reports, and other materials.
2. May greet and direct visitors, when appropriate; resolve routine administrative problems and answer inquiries concerning activities and operations of department/division.
3. May answer telephone, route calls, take messages, and provide general information.
4. Performs a range of staff and/or operational support activities; may serve as a liaison with other departments on basic administrative and/or operational matters.
5. May establish, maintain, and updates files, databases, records, and/or other documents; develops and maintains data, and performs routine analyses and calculations in the processing of data for recurring internal reports.
6. May sort, screen, and distribute incoming and outgoing mail; drafts or prepares responses to routine inquiries; prepares photocopies and facsimiles, and operates a variety of office equipment.
7. May arrange meetings and conferences, schedules interviews and appointments, and perform other duties related to maintaining one or more individual schedules; makes travel and lodging arrangements, either directly or through travel agencies.
8. May order, stock, and distribute office supplies.
9. Performs basic, routine bookkeeping functions, which may involve simple billing and cash receipt activities.
10. May instruct and oversee the activities of student employees performing the same type of work.
11. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Education: High school diploma
Experience (yrs.): Two to four years Clerical or office setting
Education may be substituted for experience.
Experience working in an academic setting
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Organizing and coordinating skills. Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information. Ability to perform simple accounting procedures. Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and procedures. Receptionist skills. Ability to maintain calendars and schedule appointments. Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials. Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering and inventory control. Skill in the use of operating basic office equipment. Records maintenance skills. Word processing and/or data entry skills. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
* Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
* No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
* No or very limited physical effort required.
Instructions for Applying:
Applications must be submitted through the Human Resources
Management website at https://www.jobs.msstate.edu by completing the Support Staff
application and submitting a cover letter, resume, and three references.
For additional questions, please contact Kathy Breland at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.