Research Technician is a full-time, regular position in the Weed Science Research program located at the Delta Research and Extension Center, Stoneville, MS. The ability to assume responsibility, carry out directed research, work independently or cooperatively with minimum supervision is essential. The individual must be able to work cooperatively with other team members and persons of various disciplines. The individual must demonstrate interest, enthusiasm, and a positive attitude for carrying out goals of the supervisor’s research program. The research involves extensive field, greenhouse, and laboratory work.
Salary Grade: 11
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
This position will be located at the Delta Research and Extension Center in Stoneville, MS.
Area of Specialization:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Organization, performance and assistance in coordination of meetings, field days, and information exchanges with area and regional producers to extend weed science information to stakeholders.
2. Individual will be responsible for data tabulation and subsequent data analysis of all field and greenhouse experiments.
3. Prepare summary reports of research results, refereed manuscript, and present research results to various groups, including scientific meetings.
4. Handle, mix, and apply farm chemicals safely in the field or greenhouse.
5. Perform field, laboratory, greenhouse, and growth chamber routines such as inoculating, spraying, weighing, measuring, counting, handling soil, evaluating experiments, and planting and growing plants under defined conditions.
6. Organize and assist in field operations such as fertilizing, spraying, inoculating, plot maintenance, inventory and maintenance of equipment and supplies, and general cleanup of equipment and facilities or as assigned by supervisor.
7. Individual will be responsible for the implementation and care of various field, greenhouse, and laboratory experiments with minimal supervision.
8. May provide supervision to other employees
9. Other duties necessary for conducting weed science research as determined by the supervisor.
B.S. Degree in Agronomy or related area of Plant and/or Soil Science. An equivalent combination of related education and related experience may be considered for this position. The individual must have a valid driver’s license. Training in EPA Worker Protection Standards is required.
Experience in small plot research with multiple crops is desirable. Maintenance of chemical and equipment inventories associated with crop research programs, demonstrated ability to work in a team environment, and previous supervision of part time employees is desirable.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
The individual must be competent in written and oral communication. Competency in computer software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint .
Experience in operation of farm machinery is necessary.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
The ability to work after normal work hours during peak seasons will be required.
Regularly involves lifting, bending or other physical exertion. Frequently exposed to significate levels of heat, cold, noise, dust, dirt, chemicals, etc.
Routine deadlines; usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume seasonal and predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than immediate supervisor.
Job occasionally requires standing, walking, sitting, climbing or balancing, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
Instructions for Applying:
Applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu. Submit application, cover letter, current resume, and list of 3 professional references (name, title, email address and contact number) online.
In addition, please submit unofficial transcripts if applicable. Any social security numbers on requested transcripts should be redacted prior to submitting online.
Contact for additional information:
Dr. M. T. Bararpour
Mississippi State University
Delta Research and Extension Center
P.O. Box 197
Stoneville, MS 38776
Office: (662) 686-3232
Position is contingent upon funding availability.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.