This position will oversee and manage administrative and operational functions of the Johnson research laboratory in the Department of Chemistry.
Salary Grade: 15
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
The Chemistry Department is housed in Hand Laboratory and is part of the College of Arts & Sciences, offering, B.S., M.S., and PhD degrees.
Area of Specialization:
Anticipated Appointment Date:
February 16, 2021
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Assists with development of operational management systems, processes, and best practices.
* Assists with formulation strategic and operational objectives.
* Contributes operations information and recommendations to strategic plans and reviews.
* Oversees equipment servicing and maintenance as needed.
*Ensures sample quality checks are performed, and samples are satisfactory prior to (1) internal data collection and (2) packaging and shipping of any sample to a collaborator.
* Oversees shipping of samples to collaborators.
* Aids in maintaining a safe and healthy work environment within the Johnson Laboratory.
* Assists with evaluating laboratory personnel work-load capacities.
* Tracks business expenses for the Johnson laboratory.
* Assists with ordering of equipment. Working with sales reps to obtain quotes. Prepares documents for the Chemistry Business Office to place orders.
* Collaborates with Mississippi State University shipping & receiving to coordinate receiving of equipment and packages.
* Tracks operational invoices and aid with submitting timely payment.
* Submits travel requests for supervisor.
* Aids with identifying relevant scientific conferences.
* Oversees communications for the laboratory.
* Develops laboratory website & maintain group news & updates.
* Coordinates with MSU newspaper and Marketing /PR Departments to market lab achievements to the relevant scientific communities.
* Coordinates and arranges meetings for weekly lab meetings and one on one mentoring & training for group members as needed.
* Oversees paperwork or documentation needed by MSU undergraduate and graduate students working in the laboratory.
* Collaborates with Chemistry Business Office to ensure seamless business execution, reinforces positive morale, and upholds MSU values.
* Plans laboratory functions and team building activities on a quarterly basis.
The above essential duties are representative of major duties in the position. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs. Other duties may be assigned to the above consistent with the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for the job. Not all of the duties may be assigned to a position.
Education: Master's Degree
Focus: Business Administration or related field
Experience: 5 years
* Proven work experience as Operations Manager or similar role.
* 10+ year's experience in handling administrative or operational duties.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Ability to work with details and time-sensitive issues.
* Outstanding interpersonal communication and organizing skills to coordinate project activities.
* Excellent communication skills.
* Outstanding organizational skills.
* Leadership ability.
* Knowledge of organizational effectiveness and operations management.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
* Occasional and/pr light lifting required. Limited exposure to elements such as heat, cold, noise, dust, dirt, chemicals, etc., but none to the point of being disagreeable. May involve minor safety hazards where likely results would be cuts, bruises, etc.
* Externally imposed deadlines; set or revised on short notice; frequent shifts in priority; due to accountability for success for major projects or areas of operation.
* Job frequently requires standing, walking, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands, and lifting up to 25 pounds.
* Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically, ability to distinguish colors.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
All applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu and attach cover letter, current resume or curriculum vitae, and complete contact information for at least three professional references.
This position is contingent upon the availability of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.