Monitors, directs and participates in the custodial activities in facilities and buildings.
Salary Grade: CUS-M
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Supervise and coordinate the work of custodians in performing general duties.
2. Establish and maintain schedules and assign leads to various tasks.
3. Ensure that work areas are properly staffed; have adequate supplies and equipment for completion of assignments.
4. Monitor and evaluate the conduct and performance of custodians.
5. Conduct performance appraisals.
6. Plan, organize and staff special project work to include coordination of work with building occupants.
7. Assist supervisor with inspection of buildings for proper cleanliness and maintenance care.
8. Render training to new employees as needed.
9. Maintain time cards on supervised employees.
10. Assist in scheduling vacations for subordinates.
11. Maintain records and submit reports concerning personnel, equipment, supplies expenses
and general housekeeping activities.
12. Requisition supplies and equipment and maintain security of such.
13. Interview and recommend applicants for positions.
14. Supervise work crews in preparation of special events.
15. Perform related duties as assigned.
Education: High School Diploma or GED.
Experience: Four (4) years experience in custodial practices.
Certification or Licensure Requirements: Valid Driver's License
Substitutions: An equivalent combination of related education and related experience may be considered for this position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Knowledge of safe and proper use of chemicals and cleaning materials needed for custodial
2. Skill in supervising staff.
3. Ability to train and motivate staff.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Normal Shift: Morning (4am - 1pm)
Regularly involves lifting, bending or other physical exertion. Often exposed to one or more elements such as heat, cold, noise, dust, dirt, chemicals, etc.
Routine deadlines; usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume seasonal and predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; travel or other inconveniences have advance notice; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than immediate supervisor.
Job frequently requires standing, walking, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands, and lifting up to 25 pounds.
Job occasionally requires sitting, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and lifting more than 100 pounds.
Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
All interested applicants must go online at www.msujobs.edu and complete a Support Staff Application.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.