Under direct supervision, sets up lab experiments and/or participates in the fabrication and installation of equipment for specified classes or laboratory research projects within a physical or life sciences discipline. Duties may include fabrication of research/testing components, preparing specimens, media, and equipment, making chemical solutions, and cleaning up after labs, as appropriate to the specific position. May assist students in lab activities, and may perform miscellaneous administrative duties.
Salary Grade: 09
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Area of Specialization:
Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Biostatistics
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Prepares various test specimens and growth media for use in biology, chemistry, or related labs.
2. Prepares chemical solutions for use in lab experiments.
3. Sets up equipment for use in labs; ensures proper operation of equipment, and reports operating deficiencies to supervisor.
4. Assists students in lab experimentation, as appropriate; provides guidance in learning and/or functional operation of experiments and equipment.
5. Cleans lab facilities and equipment after lab exercises are complete; breaks down and stores supplies and equipment as applicable.
6. Practices safety, environmental, and/or infection control methods.
7. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
High school diploma or GED; at least 1 year of experience that is directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Ability to follow routine verbal or written instructions.
2. Ability to maintain quality, safety, and/or infection control standards.
3. Skill in providing guidance and instruction in laboratory protocols and in the safe use of laboratory equipment.
4. Knowledge of related accreditation and certification requirements.
5. Knowledge of experimental procedures, protocols, and preparation techniques within area of specialty.
6. Ability to set up, calibrate, operate, and maintain standard laboratory and test equipment.
7. Knowledge of the cleaning specifications of various laboratory and/or medical equipment, fixtures, utensils, and related materials.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
1. Work involves considerable exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
2. Moderate physical activity. Requires handling of average-weight objects up to 25 pounds or standing and/or walking for more than four (4) hours per day.
3. Work environment involves exposure to potentially dangerous materials and situations that require following extensive safety precautions and may include the use of protective equipment.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Applicant must apply online. Please include cover letter and resume.
Position is contingent upon funding availability.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.