The Staff Psychologist reports to the Director of the MSU Student Counseling Services and serves in the Division of Student Affairs. The Staff Psychologist is responsible for providing individual, couple and group counseling to students and for providing psychoeducational programming and workshops to the campus community. Additionally, the Staff Psychologist is responsible for providing crisis intervention, psychological evaluation, and consultation services for students.
Salary Grade: 16
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following examples are intended as illustrations only for the various types of duties assigned in positions allocated to this classification. The absence of specific statements of duties does not exclude those tasks from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment of the positions.
1. Provision of individual, group, and couples counseling as a priority.
2. Provision of psychological evaluation of crisis clients as needed (licensed psychologist).
3. Provision of a minimum of twenty (20) direct clinical hours weekly.
4. Provision of rotating Counselor-on-Duty (COD) response.
5. Provision of working with underrepresented communities including diverse populations (racial/ethnic minorities, international students, LGBTQ+ community, first-generation students, etc.).
6. Provision of psycho-educational programming and workshops, as time permits.
7. Crisis intervention with referral to campus and community resources as needed.
8. Provision of consultation and training to faculty, administrators, residence staff and
other student service personnel regarding psychological development and behavioral health issues.
9. Serving as a liaison to academic and Student Affairs departments.
10. Serving on Student Counseling Services, Divisional or University committees.
11. Sharing rotating evening and weekend emergency on-call response with other clinical staff.
12. After licensing and credentialing, providing clinical supervision for graduate assistants, interns, or psychologists working on licensure as requested by the Director and/or Coordinator of Clinical Services.
13. Maintaining clinical case files in accordance with legal, ethical, and professional standards.
14. Other duties as assigned by the Director and/or Coordinator of Clinical Services.
1. A doctorate degree from an APA accredited college/university in Clinical or Counseling Psychology, conferred no later than the date of hire.
2. Must be licensed or license eligible as a Psychologist with the Mississippi Board of Psychology. If license eligible, must complete licensure requirements with two years of hire.
3. Preferred training and experience in a college counseling center, mental health facility, or other approved mental health setting.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
1. Experience, knowledge, and training in provision of individual and group counseling.
2. Experience in provision of psycho-educational programming, workshops, and wellness activities.
3. Experience and training in working successfully with a culturally and ethnically diverse population.
4. Ability to interact effectively and professionally with students, faculty, staff, and administrators.
5. Knowledge of and adherence to ethical standards endorsed by licensing professional organization (APA and MS Board of Psychology).
6. Possess strong student service orientation and understanding of student development.
7. Motivated to function effectively and independently with the organizational and administrative structure of a university counseling center.
8. Value involvement and participation within the University including the Division of Student Affairs.
Instructions for Applying:
Apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu and attach a cover letter and resume.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.