Performs a variety of basic to complex office support and/or secretarial duties for a specified unit/department, which require a range of skills and knowledge of organizational policies and procedures.
Salary Grade: 09
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Throughout its history, Mississippi State University-Extension (MSU-Extension) has demonstrated a deep and abiding commitment to programs that directly impact young children and their families. In the past decade, MSU-Extension has distinguished itself as Mississippi’s premier infrastructural support of high-quality early childhood education.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Clerk position follows clearly detailed specific procedures in completing several clerical steps performed in a prescribed or slightly varied sequence, such as coding and filing documents in an extensive alphabetical file; could involve simple posting to individual accounts, opening mail, calculating and posting charges to departmental accounts, operating basic office equipment, computer programs.
• Supports accounting operations by collecting receipts, invoices, and statements from
vendors and suppliers.
• Works with vendors and suppliers to ensure orders are correct and inventoried upon
• Enter the daily attendance into Shine Insight, print reports monthly for the vouchers and
consecutive absent reports for the Family Advocates.
• Records daily & weekly attendance reports.
• Work closely with the Family Advocates and assist them by entering applications into
Shine Insight, or any other information related to children’s information including follow up
conversations/contacts with parents as they happen throughout the day.
• Assist parents with filling out applications and presenting them to the BOE if applicable.
• Assist with purchase requests of items needed for center and following chain of command
for approval. Basic office help by answering phones, translating for teachers and parents,
check mail daily and distribute accordingly, file documents into master binders and child
files, greet parents when they come in and assist them when needed.
• Type up newsletter, flyers, translations of documents if applicable.
• Assists in other center duties as needed.
GENERAL STAFF RESPONSIBILITIES
• Maintain confidentiality in regards to staff and family information.
• Fulfill role as mandated reporter as stated in Child Abuse and Neglect Policy.
• Perform any other work-related duties as requested by your supervisor.
• Be present at work in order to provide consistency of services.
• Be a contributory team member in a positive/productive manner.
• Demonstrate commitment to mission, values, and policies in the performance of daily
• Participates in assigned meetings, events and training as required.
• Performs any and all other duties as assigned.
Education: High school diploma or GED.
Experience: Two (2) years clerical or office setting.
• Physical exam and background checks are required for this position.
• Travel required locally or long-distance up to 10% of the time for work-related meetings
• Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Ability to interact effectively with people from diverse backgrounds.
• Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
• Demonstrated computer literacy skills, using MS Office applications and other basic data
systems including internet navigation.
• Must be honest, dependable and able to meet deadlines.
• Self-motivated and able to work independently.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• Ability to sit most of the time with some bending and reaching.
• Ability to stand, walk, and bend periodically.
• Ability to engage in repetitive movement of wrists, hands, and fingers – typing and/or
• Ability to work frequently at close visual range (i.e. preparing and analyzing data and
figures, accounting, transcription, computer terminal, extensive reading).
• Ability to receive and respond to oral communication.
• Ability to exert up to 50 pounds of force to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
• Work is generally performed in an office environment.
• Noise level in the work environment is moderate to occasionally loud (examples: business
office with computers and printers, light to moderate traffic, human voices).
• Standard office equipment generally used includes:
• Personal Computer (monitor, keyboard, and mouse) or Tablet
• Printer/Photocopy Machine
• Fax Machine
• May be required to operate a motor vehicle during the course of duties.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
All applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu by submitting: the completed online application, submit a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for three professional references.
Position contingent upon funding availability.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.