This position provides support to the research program operations including assisting in farm production operations and equipment and facilities maintenance.
Employees hired into Intermittent positions are limited to working no more than 720 hours per fiscal year.
Salary Grade: UC
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
The position is based in Prairie, MS at the Prairie Research Unit.
Area of Specialization:
Beef cattle and pasture field work
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following examples are intended as illustrations only of the various types of duties assigned in positions allocated to this classification. The absence of specific statements of duties does not exclude those tasks from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment of the position.
1. Assists faculty and staff with demonstrations and/or projects.
2. Operates farm equipment.
3. Assists with cattle handling and care to include feeding and herd health tasks.
4. Assists with land preparation, planting, cultivating, fertilizing, applying herbicide, and harvesting of crops to include hay and pastures.
5. Performs general maintenance and upgrades of facilities to include fences, cattle handling facilities, and cattle water supply systems.
6. Assists with cleaning and servicing vehicles and equipment.
7. Assists with building cleaning, demonstration area upkeep, and facilities appearance upkeep.
8. Performs related duties as assigned.
1. Two years of post-secondary training in an agricultural-related field and one year of field work experience including livestock and forage production field work experience.
2. High school education or equivalent plus three years of livestock and forage production field work experience.
3. Must have a valid Mississippi driver’s license.
1. Educational attainment beyond the minimum required.
2. Farm-related work experience beyond the minimum required.
3. Previous experience with cattle handling and care.
5. Previous experience operating and maintaining farm equipment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
-Mechanical and technical skills related to essential duties and responsibilities
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
1. Ability to work in extreme weather conditions.
2. Requires heavy physical work; heavy lifting, pushing, or pulling required of objects up to
3. Will operate and work in close proximity with heavy farm equipment.
4. Possible contact with herbicides and pesticides.
5. Must be willing to occasionally work assignments outside of normal business hours to include weekend hours.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu by completing the Support Staff application and attaching a resume and cover letter. Please include the complete contact information for at least three professional references.
Position contingent upon funding availability.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.