The position advises students in selecting appropriate Faculty-led, 3rd party exchanges, and partner programs that fit their interests and degree requirements. The position coordinates marketing for all programs, risk management for student travel overseas, review of faculty-led study abroad proposals, budgeting advice, 3rd party provider contract negotiation, and MOU review.
Salary Grade: 13
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
The International Institute, through the leadership of the Executive Director, is responsible for fostering and providing oversight to international scholarship, research and outreach in support of the vision of the university's administration, faculty, and staff in the goal of promoting and expanding the institution's global visibility and activities. The comprehensive international program will be consistent with MSU's strategic planning, stakeholder needs, and its land-grant mission.
Area of Specialization:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Advises students, parents, and potential students on potential study abroad opportunities - application process, scholarships, and credit transfer in regards to each type of study abroad program.
2. Provides oversight of the risk management software system, verifying compliance with insurance requirements, enrollment of students, faculty, and students in Safe Travelers Enrollment Program (STEP) through the Department of State, and managing the development and distribution of the required Outbound Orientation for all students that study abroad.
3. Ensures the study abroad offerings meet quality standards for health and safety, as well as compliance with relevant federal, state, university policies.
4. Assists in managing Campus 8 course lists and registration of students in all study abroad programs.
5. Trains and supports all faculty and staff leading students abroad.
6. Promotes and markets study abroad programs to MSU students.
7. Assists in overseeing cross-campus collaborations with faculty, academic units, and administrative offices.
8. Assists in planning programs and services that impact the future of study abroad offerings and ways to continue to increase the number of students that study abroad on meaningful programs.
9. Assists in the development and administration of campus-wide events including but not limited to things such as Study Abroad Fairs, Leveraging Your Study Abroad Workshops for study abroad returnees, and the Study Abroad Photo Contest.
10. Performs related duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's Degree with focus on international education, international relations, student affairs, student advising, or related field.
Experience: Three years of relevant working experience
Two years’ experience working with study abroad programming. Experience working with Terra Dotta software
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Strong interpersonal, communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Patience to counsel students and faculty from all backgrounds and cultures.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Ability to use a variety of database and spreadsheet programs.
• Strong technological skills.
• Skill in organizing resources, establishing priorities and multi-tasking.
• Ability to multi-task and meet stringent deadlines
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• No unusual physical requirements. Requires limited lifting of files and records and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility.
• Frequent external imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one’s control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position; involves conflict-resolution or similar interactions involving emotional issues or stress on a regular basis.
• Job frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Complete application online and upload a copy of resume, cover letter, and transcript
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.