Perform a variety of basic to complex office support and/or secretarial duties for a specified unit/department, which require a range of skills and knowledge of organizational policies and procedures.
Salary Grade: 09
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Throughout its history, Mississippi State University-Extension (MSU-ES) has demonstrated a deep and abiding commitment to programs that directly impact young children and their families. In the past decade, MSU-ES has distinguished itself as Mississippi’s premier infrastructural support of high-quality early childhood education.
Anticipated Appointment Date:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following examples are intended as illustrations only of the various types of duties assigned in positions allocated to this classification. The absence of specific statements of duties does not exclude those tasks from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment of the position.
1. Performs a wide variety of clerical duties which could be confidential in nature; operates personal computer to perform basic to complex typing assignments to include: enter data, draft, edit, revise, and print letters, tables, reports, and other materials.
2. May greet and direct visitors, when appropriate; resolve routine administrative problems and answer inquiries concerning activities and operations of department/division.
3. May answer telephone, route calls, take messages, and provide general information.
4. Performs a range of staff and/or operational support activities; may serve as liaison with other departments on basic administrative and/or operational matters.
5. May establish, maintain, and update files, databases, records, and/or other documents; develops and maintains data, and performs routine analyses and calculations in the processing of data for recurring internal reports.
6. May sort, screen, and distribute incoming and outgoing mail; drafts or prepares responses to routine inquiries; prepares photocopies and facsimiles, and operates a variety of office equipment.
7. May arrange meetings and conferences, schedules interviews and appointments, and perform other duties related to maintaining one or more individual schedules; makes travel and lodging arrangements, either directly or through travel agencies.
8. May order, stock, and distribute office supplies.
9. Maintain resource inventory and ensure that items are returned on time.
10. Performs basic, routine bookkeeping functions which may involve simple billing and cash receipt activities.
11. May instruct and oversee activities of student employees performing the same type of work.
12. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Education: High school diploma or GED.
Experience: Two (2) years' experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Ability to work flexible hours, including nights and weekends.
2. Organizing and coordinating skills.
3. Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information.
4. Ability to perform simple accounting procedures.
5. Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and procedures.
6. Receptionist skills.
7. Ability to maintain calendars and schedule appointments.
8. Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials.
9. Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering and inventory control.
10. Skill in the use of operating basic office equipment.
11. Records maintenance skills.
12. Word processing using Microsoft Office and/or data entry skills.
13. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
14. Ability to occasionally travel in-state and out-of-state.
15. Use of personal vehicle would be required for travel.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
1. Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
2. Frequent – Externally imposed deadlines set and revised beyond one’s control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature and volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; irregular hours may be anticipated; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position.
3. Job frequently requires standing, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and lifting up to 40 pounds.
4. Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
All applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu by submitting: the completed online application, submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references.
May 24, 2022 until filled.
Position is contingent upon continued availability of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.