Support for the installation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of Infrastructure Technology systems including campus network infrastructure, campus voice telephone network, campus wireless network, and campus card access control system.
Salary Grade: 13
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Leads the process of installation, termination, certification, and troubleshooting of network fiber optic and copper (cat6) structured cabling systems. This includes using test equipment to certify fiber and cat6 copper cable are within industry standards and assisting with cable locates to mark and document fiber optic network.
2. Completes fiber optic and copper (cat6) industry recognized training certification.
3. Leads the process of installation and maintenance of campus telephone system. This includes installing/troubleshooting campus phone equipment and installing/terminating telephone copper cable both intra-building house cable and outside plant.
4. Leads the process of installation and maintenance of campus wireless network. This includes installation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of Wireless Access Points. Also includes use of WIFI diagnostic software such as AIRMAGNET.
5. Leads the process of installation and maintenance of campus card access control system. This includes card reader installation and maintenance, low voltage power supplies and control cables, and electrified door hardware and control components. This also includes assisting in interfacing card access system with building controls such as fire/burglar alarms.
6. Performs network switch installation, maintenance, and troubleshooting.
7. Develops documentation of campus IT infrastructure including use of underground cable location equipment for 811 OSP utility locates and use of GPS to fix location of outside plant assets. Also includes use of CAD applications to document network assets inside and outside buildings and use of online database applications to network assets.
8. Provides ongoing customer service through the use of online work order system to review and update tickets per established procedure.
9. Stays informed with current industry trends and changes in technology.
10. Performs duties and assignments with minimal supervision.
Associate's degree in a Technology related field
Five years of experience working in a structured IT network infrastructure environment or other appropriate low voltage infrastructure systems environment.
A valid driver’s license is also a requirement of this position.
Any equivalent combination of related experience and/or education approved by the Department of Human Resources Management.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Working knowledge of Windows OS based computer systems and knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel or equivalent word processing/spreadsheet applications.
• Working knowledge of termination and testing/certification of cat6 cable.
• Working knowledge of cat6 cable testers such as Fluke DTX family of testers.
• Industry/vendor recognized certification and/or training in installation and termination of cat6 copper cable.
• Working knowledge of termination and testing/certification of fiber optic cable.
• Working knowledge of fiber testing equipment including OTDR and/or Light Source/Power Meter
• Industry/vendor recognized certification and/or training in installation and termination of fiber optic cable.
• Experience with interpreting construction drawings related to installation of low voltage network infrastructure.
• General knowledge of TCP/IP.
• Working knowledge of ticket system to review, update and resolve work tickets.
• Working knowledge of installation and maintenance of card access control systems, wireless networks, and telephone systems.
• Working knowledge and use of in-ground cable location equipment including interpretation of locate results.
• Structured low voltage network infrastructure systems design experience.
• Working knowledge of AutoCAD or other CAD products.
• BICSI related professional certifications.
• Working knowledge of VOIP phone systems
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• May require occasional work on nights, weekends and hours outside of the regular 8-5 workday.
• Requires ability to lift and transport heavy equipment between job site and technical service area.
• Work around high voltage equipment.
• Occasional exposure to cleaning solutions, glues, dust, and airborne particles.
• Occasionally work in environments with excessive noise, heat, and cold.
• Perform tasks while on ladders.
• Perform tasks in ceiling and subfloor crawl spaces.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
All applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu by attaching a cover letter and resume which includes the names and addresses of 3 professional references. We will accept applications only from persons with indefinite employment authorization in the U.S., and will not sponsor for nonimmigrant or immigrant status for this position.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.