The Head is a full-time administrative position and answers to the Directors of the Mississippi Agricultural and Forestry Experiment Station (MAFES) and the Mississippi State University Extension Service (MSU-ES). The Head is responsible for administrative management that fosters teamwork among faculty and staff of DREC by using appropriate communications, management methods, and organizational guidelines to develop, enable, implement, and evaluate programs. The Head must foster relationships and communication with academic Heads based on campus, other R and E Center Heads, MAFES/MSU-ES/DAFVM administrators, other campus-based units, and external stakeholders. The Head may have an academic home in one of several departments. The Head is responsible for managing appropriated funds, procuring extramural support as gifts, grants and/or contracts, making timely decisions, delegating responsibility, and motivating faculty and staff toward accomplishment of defined research and Extension objectives.
Salary Grade: UC
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
The Delta Research and Extension Center (DREC) is located in Stoneville, MS. The Center is a component of the Mississippi State University's Division of Agriculture, Forestry and Veterinary Medicine. It encompasses personnel employed by the Mississippi Agricultural and Forestry Experiment Station (MAFES), the MSU Extension Service (MSU-ES) and the MSU College of Veterinary Medicine (MSU-CVM).
For more information on DREC go to https://drec.msstate.edu/
Anticipated Appointment Date:
January 1, 2023.
Tenure Track Status:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Be an effective representative of the research, Extension and outreach efforts of the DREC with agencies, producers, agricultural groups, civic organizations, professional organizations, and the general public.
1. Develops and maintains knowledge of the concepts, enabling legislation, history, and philosophy of the structural framework of the land-grant university.
2. Follows prescribed financial policies when making budget and expenditure recommendations for DREC.
3. Develops and maintains communication with DREC employees and with faculty, staff, and other personnel in subject matter department in the division, university, governmental organizations (local, state, regional, national), and private sector organizations on behalf of clientele, users, and cooperators of DREC.
a. Establishes and maintains relationships with key decision makers and leaders and communicates regularly with them to improve timelines, detail, and appropriateness of DREC activities.
b. Reports regularly to superiors and advocates/negotiates with them for optimum combinations of human resources, funds, and materials to achieve program missions on a priority basis.
c. Reviews/evaluates Plans of Work, programs, publications, and other educational services and recommends continuation and/or modification to ensure complementary and supportive efforts by all faculty/staff.
4. Participates in department head meetings by reporting on and representing the research and Extension functions of DREC.
5. Identifies, supports, and encourages multi-department and interdisciplinary program activities that advance knowledge and technologies and enhance the development and dissemination of practical applications.
6. Encourages teamwork and promotes cooperation and joint programming, where appropriate, within DREC, among units within the division, and throughout the university system.
7. Makes maximum use of existing groups such as priority planning groups, and local, regional, and state advisory councils to identify priorities and plan programs for DREC.
8. Provides planning, coordination, and support for obtaining goods and services needed for effective and efficient operation of DREC. Such services may include space allocations, supplies, computer support and informational services, property control, and facilities maintenance.
9. Manages the staffing process within DREC according to appropriate MSU policies and procedures. This process includes position development and requisition; application recruitment and review; and candidate selection and recommendation (including terms of employment).
10. Responsible for evaluating the performance of DREC faculty in cooperation with the appropriate academic department head. Responsible for evaluating the performance of DREC personnel in conjunction with the appropriate direct supervisor. Responsible for justifying the evaluation with the appropriate director(s) or their designees.
11. Recommends opportunities for the professional growth and development of human resources within DREC.
12. Performs other functions as assigned by the respective directors.
An earned doctorate from an accredited institution in an agricultural science, natural resources, or closely related field is required. The candidate must meet eligibility requirements for appointment to a tenure track or tenured position at the full professor level in an academic department within the Division of Agriculture, Forestry and Veterinary Medicine at Mississippi State University.
ABDs or degree pending considered (all but DISS):
A minimum of three years of leadership experience in a research and/or Extension field that demonstrates success in planning, developing and coordinating research and/or extension programs is desirable.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Review of applications will begin in August 2022 and continue until the position is filled. Applications must be submitted online at www.jobs.msstate.edu by submitting:
1. Cover letter
2. Curriculum vitae
3. Academic transcripts, with social security numbers redacted
4. The candidate's administrative philosophy and vision as it relates to DREC.
5. Five professional references that include their name, address, telephone number, and email address.
Supplemental information may be submitted to:
Dr. James E. Henderson, Chair
DREC Head Search Committee
Mississippi State University
Coastal Research and Extension Center
1815 Popp’s Ferry Road
Biloxi, MS 30532
or to email@example.com
August 2022 until filled.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.