Performs a variety of basic to complex office support and/or secretarial duties for a specified unit/department, which requires a range of skills and knowledge of organizational policies and procedures.
Salary Grade: 9
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Please review the departmental website, https://www.cise.msstate.edu/
Anticipated Appointment Date:
August 1, 2022
Tenure Track Status:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1) Performs a wide variety of clerical duties which could be confidential in nature; operates personal computer to perform basic to complex typing assignments including entering data, drafting, editing, revising, and printing letters, tables, accreditation reports, faculty workload reports, and other materials.
2) May greet and direct visitors, when appropriate; resolve routine administrative problems and answer inquiries concerning activities and operations of the department.
3) May answer telephone, route calls, take messages, and provide general information.
4) Performs a range of staff and/or operational support activities; may serve as a liaison with other departments on basic administrative and or operational matters.
5) May establish, maintain, and update student and personnel files, databases, records, and/or other documents; develops and maintains data, and performs routine analyses and calculations in the processing of data for recurring internal reports.
6) May sort, screen, and distribute incoming and outgoing mail; draft or prepares responses to routine inquiries; prepares photocopies and facsimiles and operates a variety of office equipment.
7) May arrange meetings and conferences, schedule interviews and appointments, and perform other duties related to maintaining one or more individual schedules; makes travel and lodging arrangements in Concur, either directly or through travel agencies.
8) May order, stock, and distribute office supplies.
9) Performs basic, routine bookkeeping functions, which may involve simple billing and cash receipt activities.
10) May instruct and oversee the activities of student employees performing the same type of work.
11) Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
12) Able to schedule, plan, and take comprehensive minutes of monthly faculty meetings.
13) Have a working knowledge of graduate records, forms, and policies.
14) Coordinate the collection and publishing of the semester class schedules.
15) Able to cross-train with departmental staff to gain knowledge of all departmental operations.
High School diploma and four to six years of experience in a clerical or office setting.
ABDs or degree pending considered (all but DISS):
1) Familiar with Banner and Slate.
2) Establish and maintain a departmental database in MS Access and spreadsheets in MS Excel.
3) Ability to build macros for easy data entry.
4) Strong technical skills to meet the needs of the department.
5) Education and Experience above the posted minimum qualifications.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1) Organizing and coordinating skills.
2) Ability to maintain the confidentiality of records and information.
3) Ability to perform simple accounting procedures.
4) Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and procedures.
5) Receptionist skills.
6) Ability to maintain calendars and schedule appointments.
7) Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials.
8) Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering and inventory control.
9) Skill in the use of operating basic office equipment.
10) Records maintenance skills.
11) Word processing and or data entry skills.
12) Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
No or very limited physical effort is required.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Applicants must apply online by completing the application, attaching a cover letter and resume, and including at least three professional references with complete contact information.
Additional documents will be accepted, however, please redact any social security numbers on documents prior to upload.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.