The Custodian is responsible to assigned locations regarding custodial services operations, supply inventory and ordering of supplies, emergency calls, etc. This is a “safety-sensitive” position.
Salary Grade: CUS-1
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Throughout its history, Mississippi State University-Extension Service (MSU-Extension) has demonstrated a deep and abiding commitment to programs that directly impact young children and their families. In the past decade, MSU-Extension has distinguished itself as Mississippi’s premier infrastructural support of high-quality early childhood education.
Anticipated Appointment Date:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
This position is responsible for the following core functions and performs other tasks as needed:
• Ensure the quality of work, cleanliness of buildings, and to certify that safety procedures are followed; document, report, or correct any infractions.
• Cleans all facilities over which s/he has primary responsibility, including regular cleaning of exposed spaces, bathrooms, and floors.
• Performs a monthly inventory of supplies; survey equipment within schools and ensure that repairs are made in a timely manner.
• Replenishes and distributes supplies and equipment in a timely manner to ensure the continued performance of custodial services and assigned locations.
• Ensures, through documentation, that all team standards and procedures are performed at assigned sites.
• Reviews and tests new cleaning products for vendors; recommend new products for consideration.
• Participates in assigned meetings, events and training as required.
• Performs any and all other duties (or functions) as assigned.
Education: High school diploma or GED
Experience: 2 years in custodial work.
Licensures: Successfully completes and maintains basic First Aid and CPR certification.
Valid Driver's license.
• Travel required locally or long-distance up to 15% of the time for work-related meetings and functions.
• 2+ years’ experience in a related field
Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
• AA/AS preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
● Basic knowledge of OSHA Standards and compliance requirements
● Knowledge of general maintenance processes and methods
● Ability to interact effectively with people from diverse backgrounds.
● Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
● Demonstrated computer literacy skills, using MS Office applications and other basic data systems including internet navigation.
● Must be honest, dependable and able to meet deadlines.
● Self-motivated and able to work independently.
● Travel required locally or long-distance up to 15% of the time for work-related meetings and functions.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
1. Requires heavy lifting, pushing, or pulling of objects up to 50 pounds. Physical work is a primary part of job.
2. Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require following basic safety precautions.
3. Work may involve moderate exposure to extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant and odors.
4. Requires walking, climbing, crawling, standing, bending, and stooping.
Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically. Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
All applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu by submitting: the completed online application, submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references.
September 15, 2022 until filled.
Position is contingent upon continued availability of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.