The Small Engine Mechanic maintains, repairs, and overhauls all types of small engines, agricultural, and related equipment, components, mobile or fixed location equipment including portable generators, garden tractors, lawnmowers, edge-trimmers, and other equipment using all types of materials, tools, and methods.
Salary Grade: SEM-M
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Establishes maintenance schedule for equipment, assist wit coordinating the readiness and use of equipment at prior to the beginning and at the end of each reporting shift.
2. Assist in preparation of equipment for inventory audit.
3. Assist in developing equipment preventive maintenance schedule.
4. Diagnoses, services, maintains/repairs and overhauls small engines, equipment, and their component parts using hand tools, power tools, and testing equipment.
5. Works on a wide range of systems and components, including mechanical, electrical, fuel injection, emission control, brake/hydraulic systems, equipment small engine, transmissions, differentials, glass and body components.
6. Works with jacks, lifts, hoists, stands and similar devices.
7. Overhauls, adjusts, and tunes diesel, propane gas, and gasoline engines; hydrostatic drives, gearboxes, and transfer cases.
8. Rebuilds and replaces tractor undercarriages; changes tracks, rollers, and frames.
9. Repairs and replaces pistons, crankshafts, bearings, clutches, and hydraulic drivers in small equipment, tractors, and farm implements.
10. Diagnoses problems, implements solutions, and determines type and quality of parts, materials, and hardware to be used.
11. Interprets service and overhaul manuals, specifications, diagrams, procedures, manufacturer warranty issues, and technical bulletins.
12. Recommends and orders items needed for purchase in line with university and department procurement policies/procedures.
13. Documents job time and materials used.
14. Performs related duties as assigned.
High School diploma or equivalent plus 3-5 years. Equivalent to journeyman level in area of specialization. Experience must include at least 3 years at the previous level or equivalent.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Proven record of mechanical aptitude
2. Expert mechanical abilities in small engine, diesel, and hydraulic systems through work experience and/or education.
3. Ability to interpret service and overhaul manuals, specifications, diagrams, procedures, manufacturer warranty issues, and technical bulletins.
4. Driver’s License
5. Prior experience with lawn and power equipment is preferred
6. Attention to detail
7. Computer skills
8. Excellent verbal and written communication skills
9. Excellent customer service skills
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Physical Activities – heavy work exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing walking, pushing and pulling, lifting, grasping, talking, hearing, repetitive motions.
Visual Acuity – to perform activities such as work performing mechanical and skilled trades tasks of a non-repetitive nature.
Working Conditions – subject to periods of extreme cold and heat/humidity; exposure to fumes, odors, dusts, mists, and/or gases. The worker is exposed to oils and other cutting fluids.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.