The Communications Specialist will assist the NRTC’s Communication Coordinator in managing the communication and marketing activities of the NRTC. This includes sharing information about the NRTC’s federally-funded research results, training and outreach activities, and products to a national audience primarily via social media, websites, and listservs. The specialist will work with the coordinator to maintain the NRTC’s online presence through four websites and assist with other communication activities such as social media and graphic design. This is a part-time, 12-month position with a 50% full-time equivalency. There may be an opportunity to increase the FTE of this position in the future.
Salary Grade: 14
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Oversee NRTC online information delivery, for the primary purpose of technical assistance
and research dissemination, through websites, online courses, social media, and other
similar areas, in collaboration with team members.
2. Proofread, edit, create graphics for, and format products developed by team members
(e.g., reports, fact sheets, infographics).
3. Provide web-based analytics and course data for quarterly and annual reports for funding
4. Ensure accessibility of center websites and digital documents produced by the NRTC by
using Siteimprove and other accessibility checkers.
5. Use web-based analytics to suggest and make improvements to center websites.
6. Coordinate, integrate, and manage information contributed to websites and establish
logical and visually appealing website structures.
7. Coordinate with ITS to create new web pages and web applications designed in
collaboration with team members.
8. Manage online courses offered through Canvas Catalog, provide technical assistance for
course users, and conduct follow-up surveys in Qualtrics.
9. Maintain the NRTC’s mobile web application and interactive video.
10. Assist with other communications activities including:
a. creating a marketing plan for new products
b. creating promotional items such as press releases, brochures, and handouts
c. editing videos
d. maintaining active social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn)
e. managing the production of promotional items.
11. Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree, with a minimum of 3 years related experience.
• Experience with a variety of software, including spreadsheets and statistical packages
• Experience with accessibility tools such as Siteimprove
• Experience with Google Analytics
• Experience with Drupal, WordPress, or other content management software
• Design skills and experience producing both print and online materials
• Intermediate to advanced skill level with Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, and
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Ability to maintain websites using a content management system
• Knowledge and understanding of best practices related to web design and digital media
• Knowledge about and ability to interpret web metrics provided by web analytic tools
• Understanding of web standards and best practices related to accessibility (which can be
learned on the job)
• Knowledge and understanding of best practices related to utilizing social media for an
• Ability to create and utilize Excel files and conduct basic statistical analyses
• Excellent interpersonal, communication, and problem-solving skills
• Ability to develop, plan, and implement short- and long-range goals
• Ability to prioritize competing demands and meet deadlines
• Ability to work independently and show initiative
• Ability to balance quality and productivity
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• No unusual physical requirements. Requires limited lifting of files and records, and nearly
all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility.
• Frequent external imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one’s control; interruptions
influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a
few days; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to the
position; involves conflict-resolution or similar interactions involving emotional issues or
stress on a regular basis.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Please apply for the position directly to the NRTC and through Mississippi State University’s job website. Email your letter of application, resume or curriculum vitae, and names and contact information for at least three references to email@example.com. Additionally, apply through the university’s job website at https://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu, PARF Number 505094 (job title – Communications Specialist part-time). For more information about our center, view the NRTC website at https://www.blind.msstate.edu.
Position is contingent upon continued availability of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.