To perform a variety of routine and specialized research duties requiring knowledge of wetland and coastal plants and animals. Employee performs work independently, with a variety of teams, and within established methods and procedures.
Employees hired into Intermittent positions are limited to working no more than 720 hours per fiscal year.
Salary Grade: UC
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Coastal Research and Extension Center serves as Mississippi State University's southern exposure.
Area of Specialization:
Anticipated Appointment Date:
March 15, 2023.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Field research, lab research, data entry, data analysis, survey work or general help with research projects. Will perform additional duties as requested.
Duties and responsibilities will support a research project studying marsh bird response to marsh restoration. Point counts and nest searching for Seaside Sparrows and Clapper Rails will be conducted at restoration sites and islands off the coast. Other duties include the following: sampling vegetation, daily data entry and management, and maintaining field equipment.
1. Experience related to duties and responsibilities.
2. Maintains a valid Driver's License.
3. Must be able to successfully complete an online boater safety course.
4. Varied knowledge and skills required for a wide variety of jobs.
Related experience beyond the minimum requirements. Previous experience with point counts and nest searching and monitoring, boat operation and maintenance, and towing trailers.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Knowledge of field and laboratory protocols.
2. Knowledge of data analysis and survey techniques.
3. Ability to follow detailed instructions.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
1. Considerable physical activity. Requires heavy physical work; heavy lifting, pushing, or pulling required of objects up to 50 pounds. Physical work is a primary part (more than 70%) of the job.
2. Work may involve moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, biting insects, and/or loud noises.
3. Some activities will be strenuous with conditions in salt marshes being hot, humid, and involving biting insects. Work will require walking in the marsh through potentially thick mud and dense vegetation.
4. Sampling sites may require navigation across open water to remote locations.
5. Able to work a flexible schedule.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
All applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu, including submission of a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references.
Departmental contact: Matt Sukiennik
December 15, 2022 until filled.
Position is contingent upon continued availability of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.