Performs as the cyber range on-site engineer and instructional support for the Mississippi Cyber Initiative Ecosystem headquartered at the Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College Harrison County Campus. In this role, the individual has responsibility for managing the cyber ecosystem associated with MCI’s program. The position requires working directly with the customer (and prime contractor – if applicable) ensuring the system is configured to support the needs of the cyber missions. Including the planning, design, configuration/operations, analysis, acquisition, development, implementation, quality assurance, and management of the cyber training environments and systems. The candidate will lead the overall events and develop policies and procedures governing the MCI Cyber Ecosystem. Performs analysis, system and network design, system integration, product testing, attack and scenario configuration, and documentation for cyber range environment and developed scenarios. Install, configure, and test routing and switching devices, network security appliances and software, virtual machines, network operating systems, network services, domain and mail services, and workstation operating services (windows and Linux). Additionally, the candidate will assist the senior technical advisor on contract and budget activities related to the MCI program.
Salary Grade: 16
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Individual is charged with the integration, system management and configuration, operation, testing, and support of the MCI cyber range environments.
2. Primary cyber exercise planner and executive administrator of the MCI ecosystem’s operations; leading for the overall program success.
3. Developer of cyber threat intelligence-based scenarios and background documentation (“State of the World”).
4. Leads all internal and customer-facing planning meetings working with the customer to define goals, scope, schedule and managing all details of the MCI ecosystem. Ability to gather and translate requirements from customers into actionable information that can be executed to an event.
5. Track all activities associated with the events planning, preparation, execution, and reporting supplying leadership updates on any areas of concern through detailed event schedules, tasks, and milestones
6. Ensures training network survivability by developing and keeping training network operations and disaster recovery plans.
7. Tests virtualized network operating software to resolve technical problems and makes the proper on-site repairs.
8. Provides ongoing support, resolution of complex problems and operating malfunctions involving various hardware components and network operating software failures.
9. Monitors the operation of virtual networks and ensures that hardware and network operating software are functioning properly and meet event operation standards.
10. Assists ecosystem users in effective application of environments capabilities.
May be responsible for training, assisting, or assigning tasks to others. May provide input to performance reviews of other employees.
The above essential duties are representative of major duties of positions in this position. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs. Other duties may be assigned to the above consistent with the knowledge, skills and abilities required for the job. Not all of the duties may be assigned to a position.
Bachelor's degree in related field, Computer Science or a related science in engineering or scientific field of study from an accredited college or university.
Experience: 4 plus years directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified. Project Management position in a cybersecurity-oriented organization.
Any equivalent combination of related experience and/or education approved by the Department of Human Resources Management.
Previous experience in a managed service environment
Cyber Training and Exercises
Cyber Range Capabilities and Management
Applications: Security Onion, Vyatta/VyOS, Exchange 2012/2016/2020, IIS, Apache, SQL Server, etc.
Operating Systems: Microsoft Server, Windows, Linux/Unix
CompTIA Network, Network+, Security+, Cloud+, Project+, CCNA, CYSA,
Linux: Ubuntu, Debian, Red Hat
Networking: Routing, Switching, DNS, Active Directory, VPNs, VLANs, SANs, PKI
Virtualization: Kernel Virtual Manager (KVM), VMWare vSphere or Hypervisor
Security Appliances/VMs: Firewalls, Intrusion Detection Systems, Vulnerability Scanners, Proxy, SIEM
Network vulnerabilities, network attack vectors, attack signatures, and technical mitigation
Relevant Cyber Security Certifications such as CISSP, SSCP, CRISC
Proficient in Microsoft Office 365
Active, Reserve, or National Guard military service with network or cyber security experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Excellent knowledge of a full range of network systems (LAN/WAN) design principles, methodologies, and approaches used in developing, testing, installing, operating, managing, and maintaining networks that support the centers functional virtual requirements.
2. Translate cyber intelligence into actionable business intelligence and recommendations, enterprise management level understanding of IT programs and cybersecurity
3. Good understanding of cybersecurity, networks, threat intelligence, and cyber operations (defensive and offensive)
4. Knowledge of the network architecture, interrelationships, operating modes, configuration, topology, and protocols of a network enviroment.
5. Ability to gather facts and use effective analytical and evaluative methods to assess information, plan the sequence of actions necessary, make sound decisions, and solve a variety of virtual network problems.
6. Ability to maintain an up-to-date awareness of technological advances and predict how management can meet future requirements.
7. Ability to work efficiently and flexibility to bring value to customers via the MCI Ecosystem, supporting platforms and associated events
8. Interpersonal and communication skills; ability to communicate orally and in writing and foster a cooperative work environment.
9. Experience with cyber intelligence and/or instruction a plus
10. Ability to perform with little supervision
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• Requires lifting of IT and network devices and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility.
• Frequent external imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one’s control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position; involves conflict-resolution or similar interactions involving emotional issues or stress on a regular basis.
• Job frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Position is contingent upon continued availability of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.