Performs standard accounting functions such as cost analysis, reconciliation, posting, and inventory control. Analyzes financial and operating data and prepares management reports and financial statements.
Salary Grade: I-14, II-15, III-15, Senior-16
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Monitors revenue and expenses for departmental or unit accounts; ensures expenditure control and compliance with funding and reporting requirements, university policy, and standard accounting procedures.
2. Constructs routine spreadsheet applications, prepares financial data, and generates reports.
3. Coordinates the preparation of regularly scheduled and special billings, costs reports, analyses, studies, inventories, and financial statements for local, state, federal and private funding sources.
4. Reviews and approves expenditure, personnel, and purchasing documents for availability of funding, mathematical correctness, and compliance with university policy and state and federal funding requirements.
5. Analyzes, reconciles, balances, and maintains accounting records; develops budgets and special financial reports.
6. Prepares, reviews, and processes budget, revenue, expense, payroll, and related correcting entries and may prepare bank reconciliations of intermediate complexity.
7. Instructs department members in unrestricted and restricted funding requirements and methods and provides information for budget development.
8. Performs related duties as assigned.
Level I:Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business, or related discipline. No experience required.
Level II: Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business, or related discipline plus 2 years of experience. Experience must include at least 2 years at the preceding level or equivalent.
Level III: Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business, or related discipline plus 4 years of experience. Experience must include at least 2 years at the preceding level or the equivalent.
Senior: Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business, or related discipline plus 6 years of experience. Experience must include at least 2 years at the preceding level or the equivalent.
Indicated education is required; no substitutions allowed. When a candidate has the required education, but lacks the required experience, they may apply additional relevant education toward the experience requirement at a rate of one (1) year education per year of required experience.
1. Bachelor’s degree in accounting
2. Certified Public Accountant Certification
3. Certified Management Accountant Certification
4. Working knowledge of Banner.
5. Familiarity with University policies and procedures.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Knowledge of standard and/or fund accounting principles, methods, and applications.
2. Ability to effectively communicate accounting information, policies, and/or procedures in a manner easily understood by the customer.
3. Knowledge of computerized information systems used in financial and/or accounting applications.
4. Account balancing and reconciling skills.
5. Ability to set up and maintain financial accounts and ledgers.
6. Spreadsheet software skills to quantify and illustrate routine financial reports, statements, and/or projections.
7. Knowledge of general accounting principles.
8. Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control procedures.
9. Ability to supervise and train assigned staff.
10. Ability to analyze and interpret financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and/or projections.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• No or very limited physical effort required.
• No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
• Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu. Please include cover letter and resume along with names and addresses of at least three references.
Position is contingent upon continued availability of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.