The clinical admissions assistant position is the “face” and first line of communication with Clients and Referring veterinarians both in-person and by telephone. The clinical admissions assistant coordinates patient referrals, schedules appointments, manages hospital communications, completes patient admissions and provides excellent client services to the over 10,000 patients seen by the Animal Health Center each year.
Salary Grade: 11
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Greets clients and coordinates patient intake upon arrival. Must be able to readily identify critical patients, notify appropriate personnel (doctors, staff, Year 3 and Year 4 DVM students, and/or Senior Technology students) immediately, and assists with the handling of the associated clients. Monitors waiting area and alert services when clients have been waiting for more than 15 minutes.
2. Professionally answers incoming telephone calls from referring veterinarians and be able to understand and use medical terminology in such a way as to determine if the referral request should be handled as an emergency or as a general referral case. Schedule an appointment based on the case specifics or message the appropriate personnel for further discussion and consult with referring veterinarian. Assists referring veterinarians in scheduling client appointments to ensure a seamless delivery of excellent customer service from point of admission to discharge.
3. Handles over 200 in-coming and outgoing phone calls daily to make the determination if the client/patient needs require emergency care or are a routine issue. Route these calls or messages to one of the 13 clinical services appropriately.
4. Coordinates the complex appointment schedule of the 13 different specialty and primary care service areas. Assists client with scheduling the appointment to include the asking of suitable questions to ensure the appropriate service and appointment type are selected. Follow up by calling clients to confirm appointments and provide them with specific requirements of the impending visit such as whether a patient should be fasted, medication stopped, other special preparation, etc.
5. Provides support and comfort to clients through a vast array of emotional situations. Examples include desperation, anger, guilt, grief, etc.
6. Notifies clients when their animal’s cremains are ready and compassionately release the ashes to the grieving owner when they present for pick up.
7. Possess a basic knowledge of veterinary terminology and develop a fundamental knowledge of animal care and husbandry for household pets and livestock.
8. Communicates with a superior level of customer service to maintain patient demographic information by obtaining, recording, and updating personal and financial information. Input into the electronic medical record client contact information to include full name, address, phone number, and email address along with ensuring referring veterinarian information is up-to-date.
9. Performs related duties as assigned.
High School Diploma plus 4 years' of experience related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Previous work in a Veterinary medical environment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Excellent oral communication skills in person and on the telephone.
• Ability to multi-task.
• Ability to remain calm under pressure.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
• No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
• No or very limited physical effort required.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Applicants must apply online. Please include cover letter and resume along with names and addresses of at least three references.
Position is contingent upon continued availability of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.