This is the entry level of professional work. Incumbents perform routine program/project coordination and support work, applying established processes within a defined framework to meet MSU, Federal/State Government and industry policy, rules and best practices. Assignments require investigation of a limited number of options and project/program support functions are of limited complexity. Limited exercise of judgment is required on details of work and in making preliminary selections and adaptations of alternatives. For training and development purposes, assignments may include some work that is typically of a higher level.
Salary Grade: 15
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Mississippi State University's Raspet Flight Research Laboratory (RFRL) is a historic, nationally recognized leader in the field of experimental aviation research. Founded in 1948, Raspet stands out as one of the University's most long standing and prominently established research entities with a 70-year history of excellence. True to its heritage, today Raspet continually advances modern concepts in experimental aviation through the research, development, testing, and evaluation of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) and their associated technologies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Using accepted methods and techniques, solves well-defined problems and performs specific and limited portions of broader projects, under the technical guidance of a higher-level Program Manager.
2. Assists in evaluating project requirements and validates with the customer.
3. Facilitates the definition of project goals, scope and key deliverables for small projects.
4. Supports the development of full-scale project plans to include task breakdowns, allocation, interdependencies, prerequisites, and supporting resources.
5. Assists in defining project tasks and determines the requisite resource requirements for successful execution.
6. Creates ROM cost estimates under supervision of higher-level Program Managers.
7. Develops, manages and tracks project budgets and prepares budget reports as required.
8. Coordinates with project staff, executes appropriate work packages as assigned, ensures assigned task expectations are met and milestones are completed.
9. Monitors and adjusts assigned project schedules and tracks milestones/deliverables using appropriate tools.
10. Applies appropriate project metrics to ensure project progress is satisfactory, deliverables are met, and performance meets or exceeds requirements.
11. Reviews and makes recommendations for approval of project purchases.
12. Conducts quality assurance functions, project evaluations and assessments as assigned.
13. Monitors and reports on progress of projects to internal stakeholders.
14. Determines, implements and manages project changes and interventions as assigned by supervisors to achieve project goals and deliverables.
15. Prepares and submits appropriate progress and summary reports as specified.
16. Interacts in a collaborative manner with other team members to accomplish organizational goals. May provide ideas to improve efficiency at group level.
17. Networks primarily within own technical peer group.
18. In the process of learning methods for program/project planning, including assessment of cost, scope, and schedule against plan.
19. No defined role in identifying/securing research funding; however, successful performance of project related tasks that contribute to on-going funding efforts.
20. Performs related duties as required.
Education: B.S. Business Administration, Management, Engineering or other technical field.
Experience: One year in a related area.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Knows and effectively uses the fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures of project management.
2. Continues development of technical expertise and knowledge through experience and application.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Occasional and/or light lifting required. Limited exposure to elements such as heat, cold, noise, dust, dirt, chemicals, etc., but none to the point of being disagreeable. May involve minor safety hazards where likely result would be cuts, bruises, etc.
Routine deadlines, usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressure from persons other than immediate supervisor.
Job frequently requires standing, walking, climbing or balancing, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling and lifting up to 50 pounds.
Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically, ability to distinguish colors.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
MSU Careers Website
Position is contingent upon continued availability of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.