The National Research and Training Center on Blindness and Low Vision (NRTC) at Mississippi State University invites applications for a Research Associate I, II, or III. The mission of the NRTC is to enhance employment and independent living outcomes for individuals with blindness or low vision through research, training, education, and dissemination. The primary responsibility of this position is assisting with research activities and disseminating results under the direction of experienced staff members. The research associate I-II-III will assist senior researchers and other staff with completing research and development activities associated with a federally-funded grant. This person will receive mentoring to allow them to increase their research skills with the goal of taking on leadership responsibilities in the future.
Salary Grade: 13
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Conducting literature reviews
• Survey development in Qualtrics
• Assisting with the implementation of experimental studies
• Data collection, including phone interviews
• Data management/preparing data for analysis
• Assisting with quantitative and qualitative data analysis
• Assisting in the development of peer-reviewed publications, reports, and proposals for
• Assisting in preparation for training activities (e.g., gathering materials, helping with
• Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology, Sociology, Educational Psychology, Special Education,
Rehabilitation Counseling, Business, or a similar field
• Expertise with Microsoft Office products
• Experience with one or more statistical software packages
• Technical writing skills
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Strong attention to detail
Beginning with a Bachelor’s degree:
A professional employee with a bachelor’s degree can begin work at Associate I; To begin at Associate II, one must meet the above requirement, have a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience and the equivalent to a master’s degree; To begin at Associate III, one must meet the above requirements, have a minimum of 6 years of relevant experience and the equivalent to a master’s degree.
Beginning with a Master’s degree:
A professional employee with a master’s degree and a minimum of 1 year of relevant experience and demonstrated competency can begin work at Associate II; To begin at Associate III, one must have a master’s degree and a minimum of 3 years of experience.
Beginning with a Doctoral degree:
A professional (support/service) employee with a doctorate with 2 years of relevant experience and demonstrated competence can begin work at Associate III.
• Master’s degree
• Experience conducting social science research
• Experience with data management
• Ability to perform statistical analyses
• Experience with SAS statistical software and Qualtrics
• Experience with video conferencing software (e.g., Zoom, Teams)
• Knowledge about/experience working with people with disabilities, including those who are
blind or have low vision
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office products, including advanced Excel skills
• Statistical analysis skills
• Excellent interpersonal, communication, and problem-solving skills
• Excellent attention to detail
• Ability to prioritize competing demands and meet deadlines
• Ability to work independently and show initiative
• Ability to balance quality and productivity
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
No unusual physical requirements. Requires no heavy lifting, and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility.
Routine deadlines; usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume seasonal and predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than immediate supervisor.
Job frequently requires sitting, talking, hearing, and handling objects with hands.
Instructions for Applying:
Please apply for the position directly to the NRTC and through Mississippi State University’s job website. Email your letter of application, resume or curriculum vitae, and names and contact information for at least three references to email@example.com. Additionally, apply through the university’s job website at https://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu, PARF Number 505699 (job title – Research Associate I-II-III). Contact Michele McDonnall (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more position information. For more information about our center, view the NRTC website at https://www.blind.msstate.edu. Note: We are recruiting for two positions, one full-time, and one 75% FTE.
Position is contingent upon continued availability of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.