The function of the Landscape Crew Member position is to perform a variety of duties in support of services provided by Facilities Management including routine cleaning, maintenance and upkeep of grounds.
Salary Grade: LCM-3
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Maintains university grounds using edger, blower, trimmer, mower, and other equipment.
2. Installs landscaping and related items on university grounds.
3. Mow grass, mulch leaves, clean-up grounds and aerify designated areas of campus.
4. Assists with appropriate pest control (non-herbicide use) for lawn and landscaping.
5. Maintains equipment such as hand tools; power equipment, including chain saws, edger, weed eaters, push and/or riding mowers, backhoes, tractor etc. May procure supplies, parts, and tools as needed.
6. Responsible for care and routine maintenance of equipment.
7. Operate and make minor adjustments to mowers.
8. Provides guidance for other landscape crew members as directed.
9. Level III and Lead Crew Members may assume the responsibility of supervisor in the supervisor’s absent and direct the sequence of work and assign tasks to others within the grounds crew. They may also provide hands-on training to staff for all related job duties.
10. May perform special projects related to various aspects of Facilities Management as assigned by supervisor.
11. Perform related duties as assigned.
Ability to read and write plus 5 year of experience with at least 3 years at the preceding levels or equivalent.
When a candidate has the required experience, but lacks the required education, they may normally apply additional experience toward the education requirement at a rate of one (1) year of relevant experience per year of required education. Indicated experience is required, no substitution allowed.
Certification or Licensure Requirements:
Valid driver's license may be required for specific positions.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Fluent in English language and articulates concisely; understands instructions for effective contribution to team.
2. Action oriented; self-starter; and full of energy for work landscape work assignments.
3. Ability to exercise functional and technical knowledge with skills to perform job.
4. Demonstrated ability to use time effectively.
5. Demonstrated good written and verbal communication.
6. Demonstrated productive work habits.
7. Ability to learn new skills and knowledge.
8. Demonstrated ability to foster open dialogue to build effective teams.
9. Demonstrated ability to make good decision based on analysis, experience and judgment.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Regularly involves lifting, bending or other physical exertion. Often exposed to one or more elements such as heat, cold, noise, dust, dirt, chemicals, etc.
Occasional-Routine deadlines; usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume seasonal and predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; travel or other inconveniences have advance notice; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than immediate supervisor.
Job frequently requires standing, walking, reaching, climbing or balancing, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
Job occasionally requires sitting, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and lifting more than 100 pounds.
Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.