This position serves as an Assistant Teacher for a Head Start classroom. The assistant teacher shares responsibility for a Head Start classroom of 3- to 5- year old children. S/he works collaboratively with the teacher, family members and other staff to achieve positive outcomes for children of all abilities.
Salary Grade: 09
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Throughout its history, Mississippi State University-Extension (MSU-ES) has demonstrated a deep and abiding commitment to programs that directly impact young children and their families. In the past decade, MSU-ES has distinguished itself as Mississippi’s premier infrastructural support of high-quality early childhood education.
Area of Specialization:
MSU Extension Head Start Programs - Harrison County
Anticipated Appointment Date:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assist the lead teacher in a classroom of 3-to 5 year-old children.
2. Demonstrates a warm, calm, and unhurried manner.
3. Serves as a role model for children and families.
4. Serve as a bus monitor during morning and afternoon bus routes.
5. Provides for the education, care, safety, and well-being of all children in the group.
6. Meets the children’s emotional, social, physical, and intellectual needs.
7. Assist in planning and implementing developmentally appropriate learning activities.
8. Maintains a cooperative relationship with children, co-workers, and parents.
9. Demonstrates increasing understanding of child growth and development in working with
children, in talking with parents, and in recording activities.
10. Attends staff meetings, reports problems of child or room management to the
Classroom Teacher promptly.
11. Attends in-service training, keeps current on developments in field of child development.
12. Follows personnel policies of the MSU-ES Head Start program and the University.
13. Assist in managing a safe, clean, and pleasant environment for young children.
14. Provides peer coaching with the lead teacher to other assistant teachers, floaters, and
15. Models exemplary classroom practices for other assistant teachers especially those
detailed in the Teacher Success Rubric and CLASS.
16. Responsible for collaborating with the Lead Teacher in the preparation of daily lesson
The assistant teacher is responsible for assisting in the Head Start classroom of 3-5 year old children. S/he works collaboratively with a lead teacher, family members and other staff to achieve positive outcomes for children of all abilities. The teacher’s role encompasses effective practice in the following as outlined in our Teacher Success Rubric (TSR):
• CLASS teacher-child interactions
• Learning environment
• Child assessment
• Meeting all children’s needs
• Working with families
• Professional growth and collaboration
Performs any related duties as assigned
• CDA credential or enrolled to complete within one year of hire or a degree in Early Childhood Education or related field with nine (9) credits in Early Childhood Education or enrolled to complete degree (with related credits) within one year of hire.
• Meets required standards as specified by the State Department of Health/Child Care Licensure Standards for staff including finger printing and background check.
• Obtain certification in CPR and First Aid within the 9 months of employment.
• Physical exam and background checks are required for this position.
• Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation - Travel required locally or long-distance up to 10% of the time for work-related meetings and functions.
• An equivalent combination of related education and related experience may be considered for this position.
Experience teaching preschool children including group experience with children from birth to four years old.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Current understanding of MS Child Care Licensing requirements
• Current understanding of Head Start Performance Standards
• Able to anticipate the needs of children
• Must be able to organize and execute daily activities
• Works well with other staff
• Intermediate computer literacy skills in email, Microsoft Office.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• Must be able to lift a child weighing 40 pounds, 20 times a day if needed.
• Moderate to loud noise levels.
• This position will be inside and outside supervising children as weather permits as well as monitoring children on bus routes. Due to the primary work with young children, some exposure to communicable disease is likely.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
All applicants MUST apply online at www.jobs.msstate.edu to be considered for this position.
The following documents and information are required for application:
• Cover Letter
• Contact information for at least three professional references
September 4, 2023 until filled.
Position is contingent upon continued availability of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.