The Department of Mechanical Engineering in the Bagley College of Engineering at Mississippi State University invites applicants for 2 tenure-track/tenured positions at the rank of Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, and Full Professor. Successful candidates will be expected to develop internationally-recognized, externally-funded, sustainable research programs in the areas of autonomous systems and robotics and to make significant contributions to the department's teaching and service responsibilities. The candidates should have research interests in robotics and cyber physical systems, such as soft robotics, medical robotics, bioinspired robotics including sensing and actuation, autonomous systems, and autonomous vehicles systems. Preferred candidates should show a track record in pursuing innovative technology creation research toward economically viable products, and partnerships with industries.
Salary Grade: UC
For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
The Department of Mechanical Engineering is one of eight academic departments in the Bagley College of Engineering. The Department offers an ABET-accredited undergraduate program in mechanical engineering, as well as graduate studies leading to M.S. and Ph.D. degrees. The Department has approximately 950 undergraduates and 110 graduate students.
Area of Specialization:
Autonomous Systems and Robotics
Anticipated Appointment Date:
January 1, 2024
Tenure Track Status:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. It is expected that the successful candidate will have the desire and ability to teach courses at the undergraduate level as well as courses at the graduate level related to the candidate's areas of research.
2. Pursue research support including submission of proposals and contact with funding sponsors. Preferred candidates should show a track record in pursuing innovative technology creation research toward economically viable products, and partnerships with industries and the NSF Technology Innovation Partnership (TIP) program,
3. The candidate is expected to recruit and mentor graduate students, preferably at the PhD level.
4. The candidate is expected to have a strong collaboration with departmental faculty, perform multidisciplinary research, and develop a funded research program.
5. Publish the results of personal and sponsored research in archival journals refereed by their peers. Preferred candidates should show an ability to protect and publish the innovative products through patents, trademark, copyrights, and other forms of intellectual property. Preferred candidate should show an ability to submit proposals to the new NSF Technology Innovation Partnership (TIP) by composing industry consortium in their area of expertise.
6. Serve as an active member of the technical community and participate in relevant professional and technical society activities.
7. Provide leadership and service for the Department, College, and University.
8. Pursue scholarly and professional activities that will keep the candidate at the leading edge of their field.
Applicants must have a Ph.D. in mechanical engineering, mechatronics, or a very closely aligned field. Candidates are expected to have demonstrated the ability to conduct research and technology research at the highest level and to have a record of, or the promise for, outstanding teaching and supervision of students.
Rank will be commensurate with experience and qualifications
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
No unusual physical requirements. Requires no heavy lifting, and nearly all work is performed in a
comfortable indoor facility.
Instructions for Applying:
Applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu by submitting a cover letter, curriculum vitae, research statement, teaching statement, and names with complete contact information for at least three professional references. Any social numbers included on requested documents should be redacted prior to submitting online.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.