The Assistant Director of Emergency Management assists the Director with the overall direction and execution of programs within the department. The Assistant Director will work with the Director, other university units, and outside agencies to provide emergency preparedness and response training, education, coordination, and leadership. The position requires broad management and leadership knowledge to lead project program teams.
Salary Grade: 15
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Emergency Management is part of the Division of Student Affairs at Mississippi State University. The Division of Student Affairs works to provide opportunities for growth to Mississippi State students. All departments within the Division of Student Affairs are working towards achieving the goals laid out in the Division's Strategic Plan.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assists the Director in managing and administering the university’s emergency management efforts, including planning, prevention/mitigation, preparedness, response, and recovery.
2. Acts in a backup or support role as an internal Emergency Manager during emergencies, managing the Emergency Operations Center or establishing Unified Command.
3. Serves as a University On-Call official and rotates duty throughout the year.
4. Responsible for developing, monitoring, evaluating, and updating the university’s written emergency plans; makes necessary filings with local, state, and federal agencies and other applicable emergency management partners.
5. Responsible for promoting and advertising emergency management for individuals, units, and the university.
6. Coordinates, prioritizes, recommends, integrates, and communicates internal efforts with other appropriate University colleges and divisions, including but not limited to Student Affairs, Campus Services, and Environmental Health & Safety.
7. Develops and implements university emergency exercise schedule.
8. Leads unit drills and tabletops.
9. Responsible for updating Emergency Operations Plan and coordinating changes on and ongoing basis with MSU entities.
10. Represents the university and works in cooperation with Oktibbeha County Emergency Management regarding the university’s interests in emergency management areas.
11. Represents the university and works in cooperation with the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency and Mississippi Office of Homeland Security.
12. Perform related duties as assigned.
Minimum Required Education and Experience:
Education Minimum Requirement: Master's Degree with a focus on Safety, Security, Business Administration or another appropriate discipline
Experience Minimum Requirement: 3 years with experience in relevant work listed in this job description
Any equivalent combination of education and experience approved by the Department of
Human Resources Management.
1. Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
2. Advanced knowledge and understanding of institutional emergency management principles, procedures and standards with program planning and implementation skills.
3. Advanced working knowledge of disaster planning, processes, systems, recovery, resource requirements. Ability to develop and present educational programs.
4. Knowledge of Federal, State, and local regulations and guidelines related to emergency management and disaster assistance.
5. Program planning and implementation skills.
6. Ability to develop and present educational programs and/or workshops.
7. Ability to plan, organize, and direct multiple programs and activities.
8. Completion of NIMS ICS courses 100, 200, 300, 400, 700, and 800.
1. Experience administering a university Emergency Management program.
2. Experience in emergency management grant writing.
3. Certified Emergency Manager.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Ability to communicate with various constituents; general public; administrators.
• Demonstrated skill in verbal and written communications.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office suite, and attention to detail.
• Interpersonal and interactive skills and the ability to work effectively within a diverse community. Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
• Exceptional planning, organizational, time management and critical thinking skills.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• Frequent external imposed deadlines set and revised beyond one's control; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position.
• Job requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands up to 50 pounds.
• Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Applicants must apply online at www.jobs.msstate.edu. Also required is a cover letter and the names, emails, and phone numbers of at least four (4) professional references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.