Assist the Director of Spirit and Fan Engagement with administration and coaching of the cheerleading, dance, and mascot programs at Mississippi State University, as well as assist in the promotion of Mississippi State University Athletics events to create strong fan experiences at all venues.
Salary Grade: 13
Please see Staff Compensation Structure for salary ranges.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assist in the coordination of the evaluation and selection process for the all-girl and coed cheer teams, dance team members, and mascots.
2. Primary oversight of the instruction of proper techniques to ensure safety for all-girl and coed cheer teams.
3. Leading in cheer recruiting efforts by promoting, executing, and evaluating camps and clinics.
4. Choreograph sidelines, band dances, and/or routines to enhance fan engagement at events.
5. Assist in the coordination and supervision of cheerleading camp programs throughout the year, as well as assist with needs of housing, dining, and other third-party entities.
6. Purchase equipment, uniforms, and other accessories for spirit squads as needed.
7. Plan spirit squad trips and make necessary travel arrangements as needed with Athletics Business Office.
8. Collaborate with Athletics Marketing to design promotional items to recruit high school and community college future prospects.
9. Assist in making determinations regarding recruiting selection and scholarship offers.
10. Assist in the implementation and execution of game day activities and responsibilities.
11. Assist in the coordination of public appearances for spirit groups to promote the Mississippi State brand.
12. Coordinate with Famous Maroon Band on band/cheer songs and routines, as needed.
13. Assist in the coordination between local community organizations on the planning and execution of special events, including, but not limited to: Football Fan Day, summer orientation, Central MS Summer Extravaganza, City of Starkville events or festivities, Cowbell Yell pep rallies.
14. Ensures all assigned tasks are in compliance with department, University, Southeastern Conference, and NCAA rules and regulations.
15. Perform related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in Public Relations, Marketing, or related field with one (1) year of experience with spirit groups/marketing.
USA Cheer Certification required (including greenlight background check complete)
CPR Certification (or willing to obtain certification upon hiring)
• Master’s Degree
• 2-5 years’ experience in managing collegiate spirit groups.
• Proficient in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Proficient in Microsoft Office.
• Detail oriented for accuracy of data and information.
• Highly organized and ability to balance multiple projects and deadlines.
• Strong initiative to solve problems.
• Extraordinary focus on customer service.
• Willing to work in a team atmosphere where expectations are set and managed while giving staff flexibility to do their assigned task as both a leader and/or a follower.
• Ability to work long hours including nights and weekends.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to successfully recruit and evaluate cheerleaders, dancers, and mascots.
• Ability to supervise and train cheerleaders, dancers, and mascots.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• Job frequently requires walking, standing, lifting, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, and handling objects with hands.
• Must be able to travel for home and away football games, men’s and women’s home basketball games, bowl games, post-season events and tournaments, and all other appearances.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Please attach your Resume and cover letter to the Application.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.